Street photography bag

Atari1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
atari1977.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like to walk with my cameras but I'm finding the bag I have too cumbersome. While it's big enough to fit my cameras and lenses or travel, it's just too bulky to walk with. So I wanted a small shoulder bag that can just carry about three lenses for the one camera I walk with. Not giant telephoto ones, just my 28mm, 35mm, and 135mm. Anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:
I recommend the Tamrac Rally 4. It's $30 at sears and I've tested it, it'll suit all of your needs :) if you ever find it a tad bit small, the get the Rally 5. There is enough padding but not too much, from and side pockets. Hope I'm not missing anything....let me know what you think of it

Tenba Messenger. Thank me later
bigthumb.gif

Domke f5-XB

If you want to carry more than just camera and lenses, Domkey F3x... my favorite camera bag of all time.

I spent a day in downtown Chicago taking pix a couple of weeks ago. I thought long and hard about what lenses I wanted to take with me while walking about, as I was alone.

I finally settled on only taking 2 lenses...one on the camera and the other in the larger of the two lens cases. As I keep each lens in separate Lowepro cases, I would simply attach the case to my belt using the built-in belt attachment on that case. I wasn't looking for lens changing speed/efficiency, but only for availability and carrying safety. My plan was to change lenses only once or twice during the day. If needed, I could re-cover the same streets with the wider lens if I thought it necessary.

I also had a filter case with built-in belt attachment as well for my circular polarizer filter and the step-up ring needed to put it on the smaller sized lens.

I think it worked out quite well for me. While it was a little uncomfortable trying to briefly sit down to grab a bite to eat with the cases attached to my belt, it still worked well. I plan on using the same technique for future walk-about shoots, as well.

And my lenses of choice? 16-35 f2.8 L II and 24-105 f4 L on my 60D.

For what it's worth, I have a battery grip on my 60D with hand strap -and- neck strap attached. I worked out a way a year ago to 'lock' the camera to my hand by wrapping the neck strap around my hand and 'hooking' it to my pinky. I can't even intentionally shake it off my hand! That way, I didn't have to 'carry' the camera w/lens, as I could simply keep my arm (carefully) relaxed while walking.

Last edited:
bratkinson said:
I spent a day in downtown Chicago taking pix a couple of weeks ago. I thought long and hard about what lenses I wanted to take with me while walking about, as I was alone.

I finally settled on only taking 2 lenses...one on the camera and the other in the larger of the two lens cases. As I keep each lens in separate Lowepro cases, I would simply attach the case to my belt using the built-in belt attachment on that case. I wasn't looking for lens changing speed/efficiency, but only for availability and carrying safety. My plan was to change lenses only once or twice during the day. If needed, I could re-cover the same streets with the wider lens if I thought it necessary.

I also had a filter case with built-in belt attachment as well for my circular polarizer filter and the step-up ring needed to put it on the smaller sized lens.

I think it worked out quite well for me. While it was a little uncomfortable trying to briefly sit down to grab a bite to eat with the cases attached to my belt, it still worked well. I plan on using the same technique for future walk-about shoots, as well.

And my lenses of choice? 16-35 f2.8 L II and 24-105 f4 L on my 60D.

For what it's worth, I have a battery grip on my 60D with hand strap -and- neck strap attached. I worked out a way a year ago to 'lock' the camera to my hand by wrapping the neck strap around my hand and 'hooking' it to my pinky. I can't even intentionally shake it off my hand! That way, I didn't have to 'carry' the camera w/lens, as I could simply keep my arm (carefully) relaxed while walking.

For me this is not a good set up for street photography you need to blend in so nobody knows you are a photographer, having lenses straped round your waist and a camera with a grip makes you stand out like a saw thumb

The Tamrac Rally 4, I'm telling you it'll get the job done! Try it out and you'll love it!

Tenba Messenger. Thank me later
bigthumb.gif
+1 on this one. I have the chocolate version, it's a great inexpensive bag.Hint: Replace the shoulder strap with the Optech neoprene shoulder strap. You'll thank ME later.

Billingham Hadley Pro just bought one they are top quality handmade but not cheap

I have this one too, a great, heavily constructed bag, however the Tenba Messenger is easier to work with as it has the zippered top that allows access without lifting the flap.

aboudd said:
I have this one too, a great, heavily constructed bag, however the Tenba Messenger is easier to work with as it has the zippered top that allows access without lifting the flap.

I bet it does not last as long, thats why its built without a zip very simple construction

+1 for Crumpler !

Most reactions

Back