Street photography making it easier

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always had trouble with street photography. My friends tell me that they were intimidated with my tall and imposing posture before they knew me. I never realized that about myself, but my faces expression naturally leans more towards a frown. I cant help that. So how do i, or rather: how do you make your street photography life easier without scaring people away or making them uncomfortable?

photograph with a smile? I'll try that.

I must say, it's very hard for me to picture you as tall, imposing, and frowning because the only visual association I have for you is that of a furry little hamster :)

I don't suggest going around smiling. I don't know about anyone else, but seeing someone walking down the street and frowning makes sense to me. Seeing someone walking down the street just...smiling...kinda freaks me out.

My suggestion? Make sure your camera is all set to go and walk kind of fast. Don't stop walking when you take a shot. Just shoot and keep walking. Most of the time, people won't even notice you took a picture, especially with every other person totally fixated on their phones or taking their own pictures with said phones.

I echo Limr. In the beginning just shoot and walk ... shoot and walk. After a while you find a style that works for you, the tall guy.

Gary

I've always had trouble with street photography. My friends tell me that they were intimidated with my tall and imposing posture before they knew me. I never realized that about myself, but my faces expression naturally leans more towards a frown. I cant help that. So how do i, or rather: how do you make your street photography life easier without scaring people away or making them uncomfortable?
I would wear shades when possible, try be discreet with my camera and preset my camera so I can at least shoot from the hip.

Just be warned that if you literally shoot from the hip, expect many of your efforts - at least early ones - to look like this:

Day 283 - Off kilter crosswalk
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I always sucked at it. I don't even try it anymore. I might not always put the viewfinder all the way to my eye, but I at least bring it up and aim it at the scene.

Usually I would ask before snapping if it were for a natural portrait. But when the time comes for impromptu shots, I just casually snap a picture pretending to be a tourist=) But my usual street photos are ones of the random shoemaker or the kid playing on the streets so since you are tall, just have your camera ready and shoot on the go!

Just be warned that if you literally shoot from the hip, expect many of your efforts - at least early ones - to look like this:

Day 283 - Off kilter crosswalk
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I always sucked at it. I don't even try it anymore. I might not always put the viewfinder all the way to my eye, but I at least bring it up and aim it at the scene.[/QUOTE
Point taken, though shooting from the hip does not mean like it was a gun play, at least line up your camera to your subject.

I just saw a special on PSB about Dorothea Lange, there was footage of her in it preparing for an exhibit of her work at MOMA (and she passed away before it opened so she never saw it).

I can't remember if she was talking about how she got many of her photos or if it was just part of the documentary but she usually talked to people, spent some time with them, so they got comfortable with her.

She of course isn't considered a street photographer as such, but she seemed to know how to work with people and the persistence it can take to get the shots you want sometimes. I don't do what I'd consider street photography but have done events and it takes knowing how to interact with people. I remember feeling self conscious at first, there aren't that many women sports photographers and walking out of the tunnel to have an entire section of heads turn took some getting used to. After a moment (seconds really) they'd realize I'm not as interesting as a hockey game and would ignore me. (Except for kids or fans who painted their chests or ones who had made more than one trip to the beer booth etc.)

Depending on how you want to use the photos you might need to get releases signed anyway so I think it takes getting comfortable with doing it or maybe finding out it's just not for you. Depends too on where you are how safe it is or what reactions you might get. Try someplace you feel comfortable being and hanging out.

Snerd are you following people again? :allteeth: :aiwebs_016::586::bek113::lovestruck:

I try to never make eye contact with the people im photographing and never ask, I use a Leica so its small in my hand by my side zone focused so I can bring it up to my eye when I see a shot as soon as I get the shot I turn my back most of the time they don't know they have been photographed

........ Seeing someone walking down the street just...smiling...kinda freaks me out.....

:biggrin-new: :345: :801: :bek113:

:clap: :congratulatory: :tongue-new:

:boogie:

GAH! Freakin' me out!

Point taken, though shooting from the hip does not mean like it was a gun play, at least line up your camera to your subject.

I wasn't suggesting that the motion or position was like a gun, but just to expect a lot of missed, slanted shots before perfecting the technique. Or deciding that it's not worth the effort.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back