Strobist: First time with 24-70 L

Maybe a little over saturated. I'd bring up the shadows a touch, but its a decent shot. Some hair in front of her face though.

Love the lighting, and the colors.

Maybe a little over saturated. I'd bring up the shadows a touch, but its a decent shot. Some hair in front of her face though.
Thanks! Yeah, I was super bummed about the hair. I did as much as I could without screwing it up. Now that I think of it, I could have at least gotten rid of the one stray hair across her neck...

Thanks! Yeah, I was super bummed about the hair. I did as much as I could without screwing it up. Now that I think of it, I could have at least gotten rid of the one stray hair across her neck...

Attractive model, good colors. I don't mind the over sat on my phone. Background is ok

How was it set up?

Sent from my iPhone

Like this

INSkTtr.png

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Really beautiful. I'm not bothered much by the stray hair or the saturation. The color is rich to me in a way that flatters her and looks good with that lighting, and the hair gives it a less staged look that I am a fan of.

The light looks good, and it is a solid simple set up. I feel like her torso doesn't have enough light, and the background is too dark. I think opening the aperture a little would have helped. This likely would have blown the bright spot in the background, but I think it is distracting and the photo would be better if it had been framed without it.

Agree, with the one-light setup I wasn't able to light her torso adequately on one side, I definitely need to get another strobe (or two). This was shot wide open at f/2.8

I like the richness of the color. I think it lends itself quite well to the composition of this photo. Well done!

I like everything about the color--except that neon-green stripe that runs across the background...that really pulls the eye. That could easily be taken down a notch in software. I don;t mind the messy hair, or the somewhat oversaturated skin tones...I think the richness of the color on her skin and hair and her dark shirt kind of draw the viewer in. It has a "realness" that I like...her hair's blowing in the breeze or whatever, and that just looks...real.

I agree 100% with Derrel on the “real” thing… that is essentially what I was going to say, so no point in repeating it.

I really like the lighting in this photo—not only the nice shadows and the resulting colors, but the balance with the background. I know it’s a matter of taste, but the latter is something that often kills shots like this for me; the photographer goes to great lengths to ensure that the subject is vibrantly exposed with nary a mole or shirt wrinkle obscured in shadow, but the subject looks like he/she is part of a green-screen experiment gone awry.

I mean, most of us here can identify a flash-exposed subject when we see one, but when you glance at a photo and the first thing that registers is !!!!!!!! FLASH WAS USED HERE !!!!!!!! then it’s kind of a drag, IMO.

Oh, and one more thing—by no means do I want to discourage you from picking up another strobe, but don’t discount the use of a reflector on a shot like this as a lower-cost way of getting some fill.

You don't need another strobe. Get a reflector!!

And if you can't afford a reflector, get a piece of white poster board from the dollar store. I've used these with pretty good results :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back