strobist..

farmerj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone followed the Strobist blog? Tried any of the techniques?

Strobist

Where have you been? :lol:

It's probably the most popular web sites for learning off camera flash techniques.

Where have you been? :lol:

It's one of the most popular web sites for learning off camera flash techniques.

Well, I got my camera in Oct 2008. I have been playing with this, as well as working on my general class amateur radio license. Also got an HF radio, built a dipole antenna for it.

Other than that.

I spend MOST of my time, dressed in camo, stalking and shooting wildlife.

Anubis,

Thanks for the link.

I can see some secondary uses for those funky "space blankets". Now to just make a frame to hold them. I am thinking some pvc pipes would do wonders.

Sheesh... the strobist blog has been an INCREDIBLE hit in 2008 and was the blog *of the year* for 2009... the place has over 51,000 members and is growing daily!!

It is *the* best source for off-camera lighting information in the world, and that is impressive as hell to say. :)

It's popularity is starting to concern me. It's going to peak, get to cool, and then crash. Just like everything. I already can't stand how much the term Strobist is being coined by all these people that want to associate themselves with David Hobby. Like those Strobies modifiers. Or how much people think it's now the official term for using small flashes, as if it's some new thing to use small flashes on or off camera. DH did and incredible job of branding himself, maybe a little too good. All that said, there's a reason why teh blog is so popular. It's hands down the best resourse for understanding lighting.

Excellent place to learn lighting and they make it really fun. Keep in mind that it is only an introduction to lighting with strobe and (dare I say) tungsten. Your own personal style will further your career.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
It's hands down the best resourse for understanding lighting.

No it's not and he says so himself. In Strobist 101, it says something about needed a basic understanding about how light works.

It doesn't go into theory and technical reasoning as well as something like Light Science & Magic does. It does a good job of explaining off camera lighting with speed lights, but not so much about why light works like it does.

For a newbie, when I first started out, I sure did not need to know why... just how and it suited me just fine.

Later on as my need for understanding grew, I purchased my copy of LSM (driest read in history!) and learned the why but it was not the same level of revelation that the strobist 101 and 102 courses are... it just fills in the gaps, which is of course good.

David Hobby's blog is surely one of the best resources for off-camera lighting techniques. I've read through all of it as well as purchased his "Strobist Lighting Seminar" DVD set. I utilize these techniques, or derivatives of them, daily!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back