kanuski

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings,
I have had a picture in mind for a couple of months but I do not have the right equipment to make it happen.
I want two flashes to fire, one flashing multiple times and the other on rear-curtain sync. I know this can be done with the right flashes and/or triggers but I would like to do it with the equipment I have and just purchase some cheap cords and splitters. Is this possible?
I have a Canon 5DMiii, YN565 and YN568. I also have one ettl cord and several cheap triggers.

I don’t know about Nikon, but I’m pretty sure for Canon, rear curtain sync is not possible with off-camera flash. I know I’ve tried to activate it and noticed that it is “grayed out” in the menu. After thinking about it for a second, I reached the conclusion that this must be the case because the “metering pre-flash” of the master would contaminate the exposure, rendering such a setup useless.

So, if my understanding is correct, then rear curtain sync is only possible with a single compatible hot-shoe mounted speedlight.

I don’t know how long of an exposure you’re planning, but if it’s long enough, as an alternative you could set your one flash up for a multi-burst, and manually pop the second one by hand-holding it. You’d never get exactly “rear curtain sync” but at least you’d have a delayed single pulse of light.

I know rear curtain sync can be done with an ettl cord. I just need to know if I can get a splitter so I can use two flashes at once.
I don't want to spend the money for ettl capable triggers.

Ok, but even if a splitter were available, wouldn't both flashes then be doing the same thing? I thought you wanted one to fire a burst and the other to sync with the rear curtain...

Most reactions

Back