Stroboscopic Photography

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

I'm planning a Stroboscopic Photography workshop. I found readings with good examples and descriptions of the topic. Setting up for the shoot seems extremely simple, just organizing your equipment/location/subject and tweaking your camera/lighting settings. Does anyone have any tips?

Look up the Edgerton center at MIT; their website has all kinds of examples etc.

Sorry, I have no tips because I've never attempted this, but am very interested in your results. Hope you will share some of your personal examples.

I have read some on this, not enough to speak on it, but enough to stir my curiosity. I to hope you'll share more as you proceed.

No tips but will be interested to see results and how you achieved them

As said earlier, I've been curious about this for some time, going so far as to consider the light required. Hadn't gone much further until I read your post which nudged me to dig deeper. Seems my YN 560IV speedlight supports multiple flashes. I'd never even considered it before. After some reading, I was able to set it. Can't wait to practice a little now.

Tips? Automatic drip devices and timing/sound triggers seem to be helpful.

Read up and look on the web and YouTube for articles and tutorials.

I forgot the name of this, but here we simply call it stop motion.

Generic name for sure, but ok.

NM was famous for developing various techniques of stroboscopic photography for the Manhattan Project. When they ignited White Sands, they used a highly modified stroboscopic camera for its use. I dont remember the specs, but I remember the speed was around 100K or more per second.

There is a link on the Digital side of this,:
Intro to Digital Stroboscopic Motion photography

Most modern DSLRS can actually do the work in some really cool ways.
The big thing is if digital, get a camera that can shoot with lightning speed burst rate.

Then look into the strobes.

Most modern DSLRS can actually do the work in some really cool ways.
The big thing is if digital, get a camera that can shoot with lightning speed burst rate.

Everything I've read uses a long open shutter and the light flashes to create the exposure. Many popular speed lights have multi pop ability. My little Yougnu IV lets you set the number of flashes and the frequency.

Most reactions

Back