Strolling through my small town....

jajomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got out there today and tried to find things that tweeked my senses..I am trying to make a conscience effort to shoot something every day...good or bad results may happen...but that's what learning is about.

walkwithjonjon018.jpg

walkwithjonjon008-1.jpg

walkwithjonjon021.jpg

walkwithjonjon042.jpg

walkwithjonjon038.jpg

Number 1 would be better I think without the numbers on the wood and if more of the mailbox was visible. I know there wasn't much you could do about the numbers but maybe try to pp them out.

Number 3 I like. I like the way the paint is chipping. Just gives off that old feel. The tree on the right side is bugging me a little though. But again not much you could of done other than chop it down.

1 - Fill the frame with the mailbox more, it's got a nice antique patina look to it with nice textures, use that. Get the new-ish looking post out of the photo...ruins the antique look of the mailbox. What's the house behind the mailbox look like? Is it old? Is it worn down much like the mailbox? Maybe use that off in the background, showing a mid-western old farm/ranch house & depth photo. Like the places you see the retards on "American Pickers" go to...great Americana homes & items, the "hosts" ruin the show. lol (but I digress)

2 - I like the subject, old bird houses (fallen) with a dead tree/bush behind it (showing age) with the hope of new life in front of it via the flowers; I like the DoF too. Maybe get in closer & tighter. The yucca on the left is distracting and the subject(s) don't fill the frame enough IMO.

3 - I like the old doors, I'm a sucker for that stuff, but the tree in the way kills it and you cut off some of the close side bottom of the door. Push the trees out of the way, if you can, or a more straight on shot. I like that you used the portrait perspective too.

4 - Meh, it looks antique, which is nice, but boring beyond that. Sorry :(

5 - Not sure what you were going for here, not sure what it is either...a rail with bolts and not even a nice texture or patina.

Keep shooting and posting, I enjoy looking at your photos!

I think FattyMcJ nailed it!

What is #5?

1 - Fill the frame with the mailbox more, it's got a nice antique patina look to it with nice textures, use that. Get the new-ish looking post out of the photo...ruins the antique look of the mailbox. What's the house behind the mailbox look like? Is it old? Is it worn down much like the mailbox? Maybe use that off in the background, showing a mid-western old farm/ranch house & depth photo. Like the places you see the retards on "American Pickers" go to...great Americana homes & items, the "hosts" ruin the show. lol (but I digress) I tried to PP the post but I could not keep the wood grain at all. I only us an online editing program. No house behind the mail box just woods.

2 - I like the subject, old bird houses (fallen) with a dead tree/bush behind it (showing age) with the hope of new life in front of it via the flowers; I like the DoF too. Maybe get in closer & tighter. The yucca on the left is distracting and the subject(s) don't fill the frame enough IMO. I had no idea what yucca was had to google that. ;) and yes tighter would have been better.

3 - I like the old doors, I'm a sucker for that stuff, but the tree in the way kills it and you cut off some of the close side bottom of the door. Push the trees out of the way, if you can, or a more straight on shot. I like that you used the portrait perspective too. I see the door being cut off now.

4 - Meh, it looks antique, which is nice, but boring beyond that. Sorry :( Yes it came out very boring...I really liked the variations of shapes...first the cylinder barn, then the square main building and finally the triangle of the roof. I am going to keep trying with this building..I just feel some thing when I shoot it. BTW its an old shirt factory.

5 - Not sure what you were going for here, not sure what it is either...a rail with bolts and not even a nice texture or patina. Me either..but I kinda liked the line the railing followed up to the hill.

Keep shooting and posting, I enjoy looking at your photos!

Thank You and I always enjoy getting informative and helpful input.

I think FattyMcJ nailed it!

What is #5?

It is the top of a small bridge...I liked it as a subject..but I had no idea what to do with it.

This is another pic...i didn't post it cause its crap but it shows you better what it is.
walkwithjonjon035.jpg

Last edited:
This is another pic...i didn't post it cause its crap but it shows you better what it is.
walkwithjonjon035.jpg

I think a really great photo would have been of the grafitti under the bridge. Maybe a nice shot from the bottom of the wall shooting upward at an angle...

Thanks for the answer. That was bugging me!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back