Struggling to keep Focus in AFC

Actually in the manual (every manual) it says explicitly that it doesn't move. I've already posted several Nikon references backing this up.

I don't know what the manual says but it uses a different AF POINT when final pic is clicked

Not according to any data I've been able to produce. Every test I've conducted produces results as expected by the definitions from Nikon.

Actually in the manual (every manual) it says explicitly that it doesn't move. I've already posted several Nikon references backing this up.

I don't know what the manual says but it uses a different AF POINT when final pic is clicked

Which is what i said all along... :meh:

Which is what i said all along... :meh:

That's kind of a ridiculous statement though. "I DON'T CARE WHAT NIKON SAYS I KNOW WHAT THEIR CAMERA DOES BETTER THAN THEY DO!!!"

lol. Really?

That's kind of a ridiculous statement though. "I DON'T CARE WHAT NIKON SAYS I KNOW WHAT THEIR CAMERA DOES BETTER THAN THEY DO!!!"

lol. Really?

Nikon are not saying anything wrong , it's about how people interpret it.

Anyways, I don't think I have anything more to gain out of this argument , I know what works for ME

lol. Really?

Your right.. coastalconn, sk66, psran (the OP) and myself are just making it up as we go along.

coastalconn posted pictures of viewnx2 with different focus points..
prsran says his viewnx2 is showing different focus points..
My viewnx2 shows diffrent points..

But because you think Nikon says it doesn't.... we must be wrong.

Mgr, track a flying bird in 21 point af-c, handheld, and then check it in Nikon software. Not sure if you are shooting on a pod....

Mgr, track a flying bird in 21 point af-c, handheld, and then check it in Nikon software. Not sure if you are shooting on a pod....

I have. This is essentially what I do on a daily basis. I have 1000's and 1000's of these types of burst sets. None that I have checked ever show any focus point other than the one manually selected.

lol. Really?

But because you think Nikon says it doesn't.... we must be wrong.

I don't think Nikon says different. I know Nikon says different. And no matter what I do and no matter what camera I use I cannot reproduce your claimed results unless I use 3D tracking. Are you making an argument that the documentation that has been linked in this thread does say that the focus point moves in AF Dynamic? Or that Nikon's documentation is wrong?

I have. This is essentially what I do on a daily basis. I have 1000's and 1000's of these types of burst sets. None that I have checked ever show any focus point other than the one manually selected.

Can i ask what camera your using?

think [/I]Nikon says different. I know Nikon says different. And no matter what I do and no matter what camera I use I cannot reproduce your claimed results unless I use 3D tracking. Are you making an argument that the documentation that has been linked in this thread does say that the focus point moves in AF Dynamic? Or that Nikon's documentation is wrong?
I think your just confused about what we are saying..

One last try:
The 'Focus Point' in the view finder NEVER MOVES.. but the camera will use ANOTHER FOCUS POINT if the subject moves within the dynamic 'array'.

Can i ask what camera your using?

My primary is a D300s. I've confirmed the same behavior with quite a few Nikon DSLRs over the past couple years including the D3s and D4.

I don't think Nikon says different. I know Nikon says different. And no matter what I do and no matter what camera I use I cannot reproduce your claimed results unless I use 3D tracking. Are you making an argument that the documentation that has been linked in this thread does say that the focus point moves in AF Dynamic? Or that Nikon's documentation is wrong?
I think your just confused about what we are saying..

One last try:
The 'Focus Point' in the view finder NEVER MOVES.. but the camera will use ANOTHER FOCUS POINT if the subject moves within the dynamic 'array'.

As I mentioned I used ViewNX and CaptureNX2 to check as I believe this is the only validation you guys have used to make these claims? The focus point never moves in the resulting image nor does it move in the viewfinder. With 3D tracking it does. Every piece of documentation, training material and marketing material I've been able to find states this is the expected behavior.

I just use the image review on the back of my cameras with focus point highlight turned on.

Keep in mind that the longer you have the focus delay set for the longer it will wait to leave the selected point when focus is lost. If you have it set to the longest setting it may never move (if the AF is active for less than the delay time).

I just use the image review on the back of my cameras with focus point highlight turned on.

Keep in mind that the longer you have the focus delay set for the longer it will wait to leave the selected point when focus is lost. If you have it set to the longest setting it may never move (if the AF is active for less than the delay time).

In the longest setting of 5 in A3, the delay is of 2 seconds and not forever

If I loose focus, I just take my finger of the AF button and refocus.. I do that quite often, it is known as focus bumping and it overrides the delay...

Most reactions

Back