What's new

Stuck for a decent idea?

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter Iron Flatline
  • Start date Start date
I

Iron Flatline

Guest
Hi everyone.

A quick comment for those of you with "Writer's Block". Not every image needs to be original or new. You can learn A LOT by trying to emulate shots of other photographers. That includes ideas, cliché topics, and well-worn iconography.

Just like many musicians start by covering favorite songs, it is ok to try out other people's images. It is a great way to learn technique, the strengths and weaknesses of your gear, and how you communicate with subjects and your surroundings.

Soon enough you will add your own flourishes, riffs, and style, and increasingly your strongest images will be your own.

Have fun.
 
I agree but that's geared more towards the person who is a little more established with their craft and maybe has hit a road block. Many first time posters and beginners just don't have a clue as to what makes an image strong. Problem is that you can't teach creativity. It has to come from within. You either have it or you don't. It can't be taught. You said it yourself, "musicians start by covering favorite songs". Key word here is musicians, not people learning how to play an instrument.

Learning and understanding the basic fundamentals of a talent or craft will not make you an artisan. I strongly believe that 99% of what one creates has already been created in the mind before put on paper. Every artisan of their craft has a vision, you can't buy it, nor learn it, you already have it. It's a foundation to build on. Some people don't have it and never will, and that's OK. It's what makes the world go round. Think about it.......We would never know good without bad.
 
thanks Iron Flatline, this is encouraging! I'll bet even a lot of the professionals get the "block" sometimes... its nice that other photos can spark some creativity and inspiration to us beginners! I can definitely say that looking at the photos from you and many many of the other members of this forum has definitely got me more in touch with my "artistic" side... i've always been one to use my left side of the brain (analytical side) its nice to learn to use and get in touch with the right side. I'm not sure if I agree with the statement that creativity can't be taught persay, it can definitely be learned... children are taught different games and read stories and all kinds of things and it builds their creativity and imagination. I think some people take it further than others based on personal interests, ya know?

If you want to learn anything, I think it can be done with practice, determination, and encouragement from others! if there is a will, there's a way! :thumbup:
 
They say good writers spend all their free time reading.

I think the best way to develop a vision - to unleash the creative side - is to spend time doing it.

I think there are degrees of creativity. I will never be as creative as some of the artists I admire, but I'm more creative than many people I know... And I believe it is because I make the time to be creative, and to consumer others' creativity.
 
You know, if a person keep learning and practicing, the result will be better.
There are different area in photography. Some area require more skills than anything else.

Not everyone can become a NBA player, but if you learn and practice enough, you can play decent basketball. Or at least enjoy playing.
 
This is a great idea for any time. Not just when you have "writer's block."

That's partly how I learned to use my strobes when I first got them. I recreated album covers in my studio. I just added a slight twist to them so that I could eventually put them in a show. Not only was it a great learning experience but it was a lot of fun and it led to a major job too.
 
Thanks for the encouraging words Flatline. I have been trying to emulate the looks and lighting I see in other people's photography but kind of thought I was cheating. It is reassuring to know other's do the same thing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom