Stuck on upgrading d5100 to d7100

Seventen

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the process of thinking do I need an upgrade or not. The 5100 is a great camera and even if I did upgrade I will keep as a spare and will most likely keep the 35mm 1,8 on it as perfect for just picking and and getting quick shots. I have missed some great shots when I have had the 90mm or the 70-300mm attached and needed that wider angle.
I could invest in better glass and that is an option, but there is only one lens I really want to add and that would be some portrait ish zoom.
I am hoping maybe with me writing this someone may have something to add to tip me either way as I really am stuck.

I currently have the Nikon d5100 and want to upgrade to the Nikon d7100 here is a list of reasons why I like the 7100 more.

Weather sealing, I am out in weather for hours at a time sometimes as low as minus 20. and the camera is getting very wet on these Autumn nights from moisture. I would also like to be able to go out and take images in snow and rain but I dont' know if the weather sealing on the d7100 is meant for that either. I also like going to rally and motocross and every time I do the 5100 gets filled with dust.

A big issue I have at the moment is the in menu options that are dials and buttons on the outside of the 7100 which will make life easier than looking through menus for something.

The ability to use AF lenses.

The bracketing feature on 7100 is better.

Auto focus fine tune. I don't have this on the d5100 and think I have some issue with auto focus on two of my lenses, I can get perfect sharp images if I manual focus but in auto focus the focus just don't get that sharp image (Eyes have failed to get in focus normally). This is the case mainly in wildlife and sports portraits sometimes. Moving or still targets. Maybe error from me but when manual is used there fine.

11 focus points vs 51 focus points. I rarely use anything more than just single focus as I could never get on with the 3D or dynamic focus as it felt it did not track very well, maybe with the extra ones this could be easier?

People have praised the low light performance in the 7100 that I have not idea about compared to mine though, but that will help a lot especially on these long dark winters with only 4 hours of day light that is hidden by cloud, or these walks in dark forests.

When using a flash d5100 is only able to use 1/200 compared to 1/250.

Larger view finder 100% compared to 95%.

Dual memory card slots, I recently had a memory card fail after going for a walk and to have a backup of everything I take is a huge advantage. Especially when I have done photos for someone else would be awful if I lost there images.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Not so important but things I have noticed that may be of use.

I like the idea to be able to use the extra 1.3 crop, more extension for a zoom lens turning a 300mm into a 600mm if I am correct? A drop to 15mp but thats almost what I have now. Also ability to use 60fps video in this mode.

Sensor on 7100 if I read correct creates slightly sharper images.

The 24mp not something I am really that worried about but gives me more room for cropping.

Larger view finder 100% compared to 95%.

1/8000 compared to 1/4000 People say its a great advantage.

Thank you for anyone who took the time to read this and any advice would be a huge help.

I did the same up-grade a couple of month ago and I love the D7100. The noise performance ISO at high is much better than the D5100 and viewfinder actually shows you the whole frame so you what you see is what you get. With the D5100 I often used to end up with all sorts of garbage at the edge of the frame that didn't show up in the viewfinder. Also the use of function buttons to change settings rather than having to delve through menus make it much more user-friendly.
Features such as the higher sync speed and fastest shutter speed are not at all important to me and even though in theory it should produce sharper images in practice I doubt that you will see any difference, I certainly don't.
I still kept the D5100 as I like its smaller size and lighter weight which makes it a good "walk-around camera" and the swivel screen makes it a great camera for macro photography.

Upgrading to the D7100 would be a significant upgrade.

1/8000 is only a 1 stop faster shutter speed than 1/4000.
The D7100 is Auto-FP flash sync capable. So a flash unit also having Auto-FP flash sync can be used at up to the 1/8000 shutter speed, with some limitations.
1/250 is the flash x-sync limit.

Seems like you have a few good reasons to upgrade and have read into the differences.

Just remember if you upgrade you need a weather sealed lens also for your system to be weather sealed

You might also take a long look at the D7000. Prices are trending down and will very likely go lower around Black Friday. They're already under C$700 in my area now. Any savings could go toward lenses.

Thank you for the replies, Yes its been quite a while now looking and even trying to tell myself I don't need to upgrade as I only think I should if it is really needed, but I have had the d5100 for almost 2 years now and I think it is starting to hold me back a bit. Thats why I asked here to try and see some more reasons why I should or shouldn't.

The only non weather sealed lens I have is the nikkor 35mm the other ones are weather sealed.

I have also looked into the d7000 and great value for money but it may not been much of a jump from the 5100, where as have found more reasons for the 7100 being better. 600 euros compared to 900 euros is much more appealing but I don't want something that has a risk won't fully suit my needs, I read that many people have upgraded from a 7000 to 7100.

Thank you for that video I have seen it before when I first got my sb 700 and really felt lost with it but maybe after getting to know the flash a bit more it made a lot of sense now and felt like it was much more helpful.

How crazy, I just spent the last two days googling the same subject. You are in the exact same boat as myself. I like the 7100 and have a few dx lenses, so going full frame would be too costly. Is the 7100 a capable wedding shooter, portrait shooter? Or if that is in my future should I start looking full frame?

Wedding/portrait photography is about photographer skill and knowledge about photography, lighting, posing, not what camera you use.
So yes the D7100 is capable.

Actually the DX 35mm 1.8G lens is weather sealed. It has the little rubber seal on the lens mount to seal out dust and moisture.

D7000 is a HUGE jump in performance over the D5100. I have one, and have been using if for more than two years now. There is virtually nothing I cannot do with this camera.

The D7100 is a better camera in many area's over the D7000, but is not as big a leap in capability as the D7000 is over the D5100.

I upgraded from a D5000 to a D7000 a little over 2 years ago, and never regretted it even though at the time it was a struggle to produce the coin. As was stated in the first post, I could never make 3D focus-tracking work on the D5000, but it worked perfectly on the D7000. Something to do with how many sensors there are, I'm sure. Having the second control dial makes a HUGE difference in operating the camera. I have some legacy glass, and having the meter work with older lenses is a big plus.

But you know, unless you're stuck in the DX world because of lenses on hand, you might think about going full-frame and look at the D610. Me, I've only got one modern lens that will cover the full-frame sensor, and I like the reach I get with my 70-300 on the crop-sensor camera for wildlife, but the FX image quality and low-light performance can make you think twice!

Thanks for the great replies, sorry I took so long to reply been spending time in hospital again for my back..

There has been plenty of feedback here to push me for the d7100, the price of the 610 is not a great deal more but I don't think I really need that full frame quite yet. I do shoot in low light but the 5100 has been enough especially when used with some fast glass and when really stuck for light the sb 700 is a great friend.
A lot of you mentioned the d7000 and how great it is but I think for just 300 more for the price of the 7100 can't turn it down.
The choice is hard to make maybe because I had falling in love with this 5100. It will still for sure be a back up and will keep using it for solar photography mounted to my telescope as the flip screen can be moved to keep so not looking towards sun but down to the floor.

I really did not know the 35mm 1.8 was weather sealed even the guy who sold it to me said it was not weather sealed. A nice bonus if it really is.

You'll love the upgrade.

I went from a d5100 to a d7000 and the biggest difference I noticed was with the viewfinder and all the added controls. I can do pretty much the same thing with the D5100 but not near as fast and easy. I did not personally notice a big difference in IQ between the D5100 and D7000 as they use the same sensor. I do think that you will notice more of an improved IQ with the D7100 due to it's newer sensor and processing engine.

The D7100 is an excellent and very capable body. I upgraded from a D3100 so it was a huge improvement.

Now with that said, another option would be a New, Used or Refurbished D800. I upgraded to a D800 shortly after buying a my D7100 and no regrets! This upgrade is not without challenges though, the glass isn't cheap for one thing and the D800 is known for it's large files. I was able to transition some what easy as I started buying FX glass for my D7100. This is definitely something to consider if you choose to buy a D7100 and that is start buying FX glass since the next major upgrade is a FX body.

Most reactions

Back