Stuck on upgrading d5100 to d7100

As to going FX as the ultimate upgrade? It really depends on how you use your equipment. In my case, I like to shoot bugs and small stuff with a macro. Going FX would not do much for me as I would end up cropping the frame down to at least the DX size to get the same reach. I'm currently happy with my D7000 but will probably jump on the next D7K upgrade. Also, I rarely if ever print anything but I post a lot to the internet. Using a D810 for this would be like using a bulldozer to plow up a little patch to plant some tomatoes. Now, would I like to have a D810 and some top drawer Nikkor lenses? Heck yeah.

The D7100 is an excellent and very capable body. I upgraded from a D3100 so it was a huge improvement.

Now with that said, another option would be a New, Used or Refurbished D800. I upgraded to a D800 shortly after buying a my D7100 and no regrets! This upgrade is not without challenges though, the glass isn't cheap for one thing and the D800 is known for it's large files. I was able to transition some what easy as I started buying FX glass for my D7100. This is definitely something to consider if you choose to buy a D7100 and that is start buying FX glass since the next major upgrade is a FX body.

The 3 lenses I bought 2 of them are for FX. But next 2 lenses I want am a little unsure if they will be FX or DX ones. But I dont feel the need of a FX body for some time anyway. But that said for the DX lenses I am in not so much hurry for them and willing to wait for a decent priced used one to come along. Where as the Ones to be used on FX if it is something that I really need and is something I will always be keeping I am more likely to save up and purchase it new.
Here in Finland the used market is tiny especially for Nikon, seems on the forums and online secondhand markets its a huge majority of canon. So finding DX lenses comes a little easier used, People upgrading to FX or people who start the hobby and find they dont like it. at least like this IF i did upgrade the DX lenses should fetch a similar amount back.

As to going FX as the ultimate upgrade? It really depends on how you use your equipment. In my case, I like to shoot bugs and small stuff with a macro. Going FX would not do much for me as I would end up cropping the frame down to at least the DX size to get the same reach. I'm currently happy with my D7000 but will probably jump on the next D7K upgrade. Also, I rarely if ever print anything but I post a lot to the internet. Using a D810 for this would be like using a bulldozer to plow up a little patch to plant some tomatoes. Now, would I like to have a D810 and some top drawer Nikkor lenses? Heck yeah.

I agree there, I am also quite into imaging wildlife, bugs and flower so the cropped sensor is great advantage, but more recently I have been getting into portraits, I have not really found any huge issues, unless doing a family shot, but the 35mm works fine for that. I could do with a zoom lens to fill the gap from 35-70 a little as the 35 does seem a little too wide sometimes and a nice 50mm could do fine. But thinking a Tamron or Sigma 18-50 2.8 would be more usable. Thats my only issue but a new lens can solve it anyway.

To be honest, I have contemplated the jump from D5100 to D7100 back when the later came out, too, and finally decided that I figured it wasnt big enough a change to be worthwhile, and went for the D600 instead. Since lowlight performance for me is very important, this was a good idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back