Student Photographer with a $500 base camera budget

calitrumpet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum, but have been enjoying photography quite a bit in the last four months. I took a photography class at my school and bought a Canon Rebel K2 (35mm standard slr...non digital). I learned alot about black and white photos, shutter speeds, apertures, iso, etc.

Now, I just sold that Canon and want to upgrade to a digital SLR. I kinda like the Canon name and from what I have read, the Rebel XT series cameras are very good, in particular the Rebel XTi. I have read that the kit lens kinda sucks so I am looking at this Canon Lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-28-105m...r_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1201237257&sr=1-18

Since my budget is around $500 for the base and $200ish for a nice lens, I guess I am at about $700 all together. I would love to know what people would do or buy with $700 for someone like me, just introduced and learning the small technical details for taking the best shot.

Other options that I am considering is the Nikon D40X, and the Rebel XT (runs 400 on amazon).

Where would my money be best spent. Which Lens? Thanks so much!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Rebel XT $379 shipped from buydig.com
Canon 28-135 IS ~$300, look around.

I used the XT to start out, and it got me very far. Then, I sold it to buy a 40D. Now, I needed a 2nd camera, so I purchased yet another XT cause I liked my first one so much.

Basically, I would invest more in the glass than the camera. My XT took plenty of good 20x30's. Don't get me wrong, the XTi is nice, but between that, and a nicer lens...I'd go for the nicer lens.

You could also consider a used camera. I saw on ebay some 30d's (but more 20d's) that are going for around $600-$700 with lens and it's got more controls than the XT.

Personally, I like Nikon, but you're probably already used to the way Canon works and IMO it doesn't matter which brand you choose as long as it feels comfortable to you.

Can't go wrong with a used Nikon D70. There is someone on here selling one for $425 right now with the 18-70mm lens, and you Can pick up a nice 55-200 or 70-300 with the money you have left over. The D70 is far Superior to the D40 in so many ways.

Most reactions

Back