Studio Flash Lighting

fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Reaction score
Website
www.06photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I am looking to get some studio stuff for at home. Nothing big, the room it will (hopefully) be living in is not a big room, but I can set it up elsewhere if need be.

I used Elinchrom flash heads when at TAFE, so they are familiar, but I am not sure if it is a waste of money for me to buy that straight out, when I probably won't use it as much as I anticipate.

I am looking at some of the packages on ebay and I can get complete packages for around $400AUD (2 heads, stands, etc) or the elinchrom heads are around $450-500 each.

I am just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. The main focus would be food/stock/maybe some children.

It might be a good idea for me to stress here that this is for a HOBBY so I don't really need anything amazing, no matter how much I want it :)

Since you do have some experience with Elinchrom gear, I'd think that you might be really put off by the quality of 'most' of these cheap E-bay kits. That's my biggest concern when people ask about these kits.

I'm sure they do work (their not a total scam) but I don't know how long I'd expect them to last or how easy they are to use.

One thing to consider is parts and modifiers, You should be able to get replacement parts for the Elinchrom locally or at least close.
If you have an ebay kit, will you be able to get parts if needed or modifiers.

Like Mike Said if you have used the higher end kits in the past you will not be happy with the quality of the ebay kits.
Are you considering used at all, you may have to wait a bit, bit I see quality used gear up for sale all the time.

Not too sure what you Aussies can use, since you apparently have 240 volt, 50 hertz wall current, with the "I" style plug-ins. Elinchrom is regarded as being quite decent here in the US, but I am not convinced that beginners need $450 per-light quality of flash for hobby uses. Is there something for your country in the $129 to $199 per-light price bracket? Something with a user-interchangeable flash tube, and a decent modeling lamp power?

I do love the elinchrom ones, yes. And I do find it a bit hard to get my head around lighting ratios etc, so I probably would be best to stick with something I know.

As for the used ones, that was for used. I found 2 different ones. One was $500 and one was $400 (off ebay and in a local photographic store that also sells second hand). I think they are both elinchrom 500 heads. Sadly here in Brisbane we don't have a big range of stores.

I have just looked at stores other than ebay, and have found the d-lite it 2 are a bit cheaper. I can get a kit for $850 (2x heads, 2 x stands, 2 x soft boxes).
It's still pretty expensive considering I probably won't use it that much. LOL

Why does it all have to be so expensive. If it wasn't so heavy, I would buy from the US!

You may want to check with a member here, Garbz, who I believe also lives in Brisbane. I'm not too sure if he is into studio lighing, but he may have some sources for you to follow up on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back