What's new

Studio Light H E L P M E

SethAlbritton

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Messages
122
Reaction score
0
Location
north carolina
I have sb900's, but I want a light whose beam I can concentrate and make a very narrow beam. So, if you could give me a few options on lights for my studio, I would appreciate it. Thank you
 
Or even zoom it to 200mm, and see what that gets you. Then go from there. If that's not enough, ^^^^^^^^^^^
 
Snoots do work and zooming do ok, However, i know there are certain lights that can concentrate the light as a feature. i'm looking for one of these.

The zoom is not as concentrated as I want and I'm also getting a new set of lights so on this set of lights I would like for them to have that feature.


Also, thanks for the responses.
 
So are you looking for a modifier for your sb-900s or for your new lights? What kind of lights are you getting? That would help alot.

Well, maybe you mean grid spots? Pretty much you options from focuses and tightening studio lights are barn doors, grid spots, and snoot, ranging from less to more tight control.
 
Snoots do work and zooming do ok, However, i know there are certain lights that can concentrate the light as a feature. i'm looking for one of these.

The zoom is not as concentrated as I want and I'm also getting a new set of lights so on this set of lights I would like for them to have that feature.


Also, thanks for the responses.

Speedotron Black Line, aka Speedotron's "Universal Mount" has the advantage of being fairly easily modifiable for Focusing Fresnel spot lights from several different manufacturers. On eBay it is common to see Norman and other brands of focusing Fresnel spotlights in the $300 to $700 range, every week.

Otherwise, the Speedotron Force 10 and Force 5 monolights and the Speedotron Black Line 202VF (Variable Focusing) have adjustable beam spread output, which is pretty uncommon for studio flash units. I have a couple of 202VF heads, and they are really nice; they allow you to get a bream spread of 40 degrees up to 70 degrees using the standard reflector.
Not sure if this is what you are after...
 
I'm not sure what I'm looking for I what I think I just found out.

I want a light that is continuous. I want to be able to use it with softboxes. I want to get three of them.

I also want to be able to use them for Video or FIlm for movies.

I saw a video on youtube a while back ago that showed two concentrated continuous lighting on the back of a girls body to give the girl a powerful look. I think I just want a three piece lighting system. I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for.
 
Exactly what bitter said before... a snoot! Or if you are in low budget, a flash light LOL Or home depot light with aluminum foil!
 
I have my sb900's for outside. For inside I want to have studio lights. I'm also starting to learn video, so I want something I can use for both if possible.
 
Well, for video/film you will need continuous lighting....hmmm...lots of that available these days. Lowell is a pretty good brand of lighting, and they have a nice web site with some interesting simulator applications that show lighting effects.

The people at Photoflex have a nice web site too, with plenty of information and photos showing their continuous lighting stuff.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom