Studio lighting and built in flash wont stop!

I am going to agree that manual mode is the only mode to be shooting your camera in under strobes. All one needs to do it to test your exposure with a flash meter and dial the results into your exposure on the camera ....

Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO have to be static less one of the three change due to the camera's metering and screw the exposure.

Unless you're using lights that are TTL compatible, use manual...

I believe I was portrait mode, I have not shot in M, I guess I need to start.

Shooting manual is the only way to use studio lighting :lol: ISO100, F8, 1/125 start off just using one light on half power about 3 feet from subject at 45 degrees slightly above subject, shoot and check histogram and flshing hot spots if it is too dark turn your lights up if it is too bright turn it down or move the light further away from subject

Last edited:
Slightly OT here, but figured I'd use the opportunity to ask a question; If using studio strobes would it not make sense to always use the camera at the maximum flash sync speed (usually 1/200 or so), in order block as much ambient light as possible? The point being that it wouldn't screw with your white balance settings from the strobes by having two different colour temp sources if you eliminate (as much as possible) any ambient light?

So in M mode, I cannot get the flash to fire, when focusing the built in flashes to focus, but even when I shoot, the flash, or strobes fire.

So in M mode, I cannot get the flash to fire, when focusing the built in flashes to focus, but even when I shoot, the flash, or strobes fire.

In manual the flash with only fire if you press the button to release it, it will not pop up on it own

Slightly OT here, but figured I'd use the opportunity to ask a question; If using studio strobes would it not make sense to always use the camera at the maximum flash sync speed (usually 1/200 or so), in order block as much ambient light as possible? The point being that it wouldn't screw with your white balance settings from the strobes by having two different colour temp sources if you eliminate (as much as possible) any ambient light?

If you shoot at F8-F11 you shouldn't need your shutter above 1/125, just take a shot without your flashes firing if your screenis black no ambient

In manual the flash with only fire if you press the button to release it, it will not pop up on it own

I do not want the built in to fire, but I was saying the built in wont even fire. I need to know how to get the strobes to fire, I am running a sync cord from one of them to the camera.

I do not want the built in to fire, but I was saying the built in wont even fire. I need to know how to get the strobes to fire, I am running a sync cord from one of them to the camera.

Ok first lets start with the obvious, are the strobes turned on. Yes it seems stupid but you would be surprised how many times I have seen someone forget to power one or more up. Now lets move on.

1. Is that one stobe linked by the pc cord firing? If not, check the sync cord. If yes, proceed to number two.

2. How are you trying to fire the other two strobes. Optical Slaves? Some other method? If optical slaves, are they in line of site of the flash of the other strobe. I know, they shouldn't have to be, but depending on what they are it may be necessary. The $3.00 cheepies aren't too sensitive.

If you are using another method, please describe how you are trying to fire the other strobes. It would be helpful to know what kind of strobes you are using. There can be a whole slew of reasons that this isn't working based on the make of strobes you have.

On a side note, how are you exposing for your shots. Do you have a flash meter? With out one you are going to spend a lot of time chimpin to get the exposure right. As others have said, shooting manual is the way to go.

Please use succinct statements. These run on sentences make absolutely no sense to me.

So in M mode,
What's in M mode? Your shooting mode, focusing mode or flash mode?

I cannot get the flash to fire,
But isn't that the desired result?

when focusing the built in flashes to focus,
So when the lens attains focus, the built-in flash automatically fires?

but even when I shoot, the flash, or strobes fire.
Can't you tell which is firing? Is this random, where your flash fires sometimes and the strobe fires at others?

The best advice is to read your manuals thoroughly, get your terminology straight and use one thought in one sentence.

Next, start with one light and hone your skill to get it right every time, without fail.

Next, add another light.

Its a simple question... In M mode (Manuel Setting) the strobes do not fire, how do I set the camera to fire them? Yes the strobes are on, yes they fire correctly in other modes, I am told I need to shoot in M, but strobes do not fire.

And I apologize about the poorly punctuated sentences, I can on my phone most of the day.

Its a simple question... In M mode (Manuel Setting) the strobes do not fire, how do I set the camera to fire them? Yes the strobes are on, yes they fire correctly in other modes, I am told I need to shoot in M, but strobes do not fire.

And I apologize about the poorly punctuated sentences, I can on my phone most of the day.

Under Flash Control have you disabled flash firing?

No, it shows enabled.

Breakdown your settings, gear, etc, with a bit more detail. The answer is in there somewhere.

You must be using Nikon because if you use Canon you just plug in the sinc lead and it will fire there should be a switch on the other flash to activate the optical slave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back