studio lighting help

I don't know why Jerry is the first and loudest to say they suck when he has never used them.

That is where you are misinformed. I do not own them, but I have used them several times (and did see the faint pink cast on one side against a white backdrop on my shots) before I made my choice (I *always* do my homework!). Also, there is a ton of evidence out there that clearly supports this, and I provided those links before before in a conversation with Big Mike.

I didn't keep the links as after I made my choice, there was no need to keep them (there were a good 8-10 threads, equalling hundreds of posts on the net from people who complained and proved and measured this using professional measuring equipment and pictures where the issues were visible even to the naked eye). If people are interested enough, they can do their own searches... however, when the issue does come up, I will mention it so that people *can* at least make an educated choice.

I know somoene local to me that is ready to spend $3500 on AB equipment, becuase even though he knows about the WB issues, 90% of his shots are gelled and it is basically a non-issue for him. That's fine... as long as you KNOW about it and make your choices based on knowledge and not hear-say.

I noticed that the fact that I basically called the owner of AB a power monger, no one even batted an eye lash... I wonder why? Maybe becuase that is also true? The man does have a security complex and need to impose his will on anything posted on his site... which is why he basically shut it down... becuase he did not want people complaining about his QC, late release issues, product changes and what not. I mean.... wow.

ABs are a good product, great for people with a low budget, but let's get serious, as far as quality is concerned, there is no free lunch and you will ALWAYS get what you pay for, and AB equipment is pretty much at the bottom of the heap in price and quality.

If the ABs had no white balance issues, why did Paul C Buff *himself* say he was aware of it but not interested in doing ANYTHING about it on his own board, and then later saying that one of the MAIN reasons the new ABMax series was supposed to use this new fangled power supply was to address the WB issue??

This is the new power supply that is now NOT coming with the new units... and whether he chose to address it or not with the new ones, no one but PCB himself can say at this point.

I am not anti-AB... but can we at LEAST be honest about certain irrefutable facts when we discuss them?

Thank you all so much for the massive amount of info!! As I did mention I know there are going to be heavy opinions in brands, but I just wanted some opinions from experience and not what the companies have to say. I will take all of the info into consideration. I have not thought much about a budget for lights yet, wanted to look at my options and the differences.
I actually thought the replies would be sent to my e-mail so I was shocked when I found all these replies on the site!! I just signed on to read other threads, but spent my whole break reading replies.
thanks again!!!

Megz, as jerry and others have said, you need to determine what kind of work you want to do. For me, in the studio, I've used most of the major brands and settled on Bron, older equipment, granted, but still consistent as the day they were new and built like a tank.

My experience with Photogenic isn't as good as Jerry's, out of 8 monolight units at my friends portrait studio, in the last 3 years, 6 have failed. A fluke maybe, but he's looking at other options, as he's a fairly high volume senior/portrait shooter and having to borrow a few packs is a pain.

And Balcar....??? Are there no Balcar fans here. They're what I always wanted but haven't yet gotten.

BTW... choosing something more than ABs doesn't mean spending $20K and more. I would suggest something like $1000/light (including stands and modifiers) would be a good ballpark figure for a lighting system that you intend to use for the duration.

Sadly, my Speedotrons keep on working. I have a 2400ws black line (which is pretty solid) and a 1200ws brown line (which is all over the place). One day, they'll die off and I can justify getting the Balcars.

-Pete

I started out learning in school with a 4x5 and hot lights, and then moved to a digital SLR with lots of studio space and a multitude of strobe lights with many accessories at my disposal and also a 2 set monolight for traveling out of school. Then after school I got a job with a company that had their own "studio" that was there prior to my hiring with 8 continuous lights, no snoots, no barn doors nothing extra. So not having much of any control the clothing was decent to shoot, but the jewelry was a different story, especially when some pieces were $2,000. I did make it work for 2 years and they continue to make it "work." Needles to say I did find plenty of creativity while using a primitive set up. Having a little bit of variety I have found what I like and dislike. Knowing that I am able to improvise leads me towards the lesser, but having worked with higher end equipment it would really be nice to have!!

I am hoping to continue doing more product photography than portrait. I am not really a portrait photographer, but I do have some friends of mine that insist they are happy with my work. So the lights I do get would be mostly set up in a product photo setting (in my basement) and then occasionally travel for portraiture (no weddings please). I do have a client that is a floral shop over an hour away and we have set up the store's basement into a studio which worked wonderfully. Much better than attempting to travel with a hundred floral arrangements and be able to sell them afterwords, so really that would probably be the main reason for traveling while also giving me more flexibility for potential clients.

Does anyone know of a seller that carries lighting in the Madison-ish area that I could actually take a look at some of these in person? Pete I see that you are from IL... I know Calumet is not that far away, have you been there? Do they have a lot on display. It would be nice to see them in person before putting forth the investment.

Pete I see that you are from IL... I know Calumet is not that far away, have you been there? Do they have a lot on display. It would be nice to see them in person before putting forth the investment.

I haven't been for quite some time now. In fact, the last time I did go they still had the Bensenville store.

But, yes.... quite a nice showroom!

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back