Studio Lighting

Katsu Yoshiro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so I'm helping a guy set up a small studio for portraits and stuff, and I need some info on the lighting set up. What would be the best choice for small groups or single person portraits? Hot lights, strobes, or what? And what accessories would we need? Umbrellas and stuff? I don't really know that much about it other than the little bit I've read in a book called "Exposure and lighting" which only had a small chapter on the stuff. Any advise would be awesome. :wink:

For shooting people, strobes would be much better than hot lights IMO.
They typical accessories or light modifiers would be umbrellas or soft boxes, light stands, flash meter etc.

Check out this as an example: http://www.alienbees.com/busy.html

Another recommendation for the strobist site. If you are a relatively new shooter with off camera lighting and aren't reading it... you are NEVER going to get the results you could get after 5-10 hours of reading and practicing things that are there!

BTW, I just came back a short while ago from Orlando/Kissimmee... Florida is an AMAZING and limitless places for taking great pictures!

BTW, I just came back a short while ago from Orlando/Kissimmee... Florida is an AMAZING and limitless places for taking great pictures!

Yeah I know! I love it down here. We are thinking about moving out to Vancouver though for a little change of scenery. Just tossing the idea around right now, as we both don't really care for the cold. :lol:

Next time you come down, give a shout. I could probably show you some spots you missed. :)

Most reactions

Back