Studio Photo Request!!

Enem178

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kwaltonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, im in the process of setting up my first studio and I would love for you guys and girls that have studios to post pix of them!!! My purpose is to see how different people arrange and generally design their studios. So if you have a studio id love to see them!! Thanks!!

Visit Strobist and do a search. In the end, I will warn you that yours will look like NONE of them. I know that mine even changes from time to time in terms of location, size and needs. Sometimes it is the garage, sometimes it is a room I have in the basement, but 90% of the time, you just cannot beat the great outdoors.

Also, budget is important. Do you have 100 dollars or 100,000 dollars? Yeah, you could spend that and a whole lot more for a studio. ;)

Here is a look from the photographers point of view. The subjects pov is of course much different.

20090509dsc0110.jpg

This is just one part of our garage. Maybe 10' x 15 x 8' high. Working with Speedotron 802D. 2 M11 heads and one MW3R head. Tons of light stands, foamcore, diffusion, screens and black cards (gobo). Note the old seamless covering the rafters. I was paranoid about the light bouncing of the wood and creating a colour cast. A smaller not shown area is the lounge. Lounge includes tons of my photos and fun letters from art directors. Let me know if you have any questions.

Love & Bass

Thx!! These are the type of pics im looking for. I would assume the subject's perspective is just the rest of the unfinished garage right??

^^ Plus at least a camera and photographer, one supposes.

Honestly... when I first got into portraiture, I thought studios were something important and I setup 2 locations in my home for this (basement room and garage). Now I know that they are basically a waste of time and money. I don't invest in studio equipment (I took my backdrop material, and cut it up and used it to make sandbags... lol). but I will invest large amounts into quality lighting equipment. For the number of times that I absolutely need an indoor professional studio, there is a place local to me that I can rent space for a day. This *may* be only twice a year... and only in the winter becuase weather conditions are so inhospitable that shooting outside is difficult, even if the shots would come out better.

Once you do the indoor studio thing 3-4 times, it becomes boring, repetitive and monotonous. This is not something that happens when your location changes and becomes part of your "creation".

I would assume the subject's perspective is just the rest of the unfinished garage right??

Yup, but why would it matter what they see? It is the shot that counts, not what they see. In the OneLight videos with Zack Arias, a couple of times you see him taking pictures in a cramped room converted in a "studio"... but the place has bare cement floors, ducting and even some old piano that gets in his way. Another time, it is a room with old bricks painted over and industrial ducting. The shots still come out looking good. ;)

Thx!! These are the type of pics im looking for. I would assume the subject's perspective is just the rest of the unfinished garage right??

Wrong. The wall that the model sees is finished and contains some of my framed photos posters and other decorations. I feel that is important to create a creative environment. Theoretically it does not matter where you shoot. Personally I enjoy the freedom of a large space. Personally I feel that having a creative space gives an air of professionalism. People pay a lot of money to be in my studio/garage. I think it is just bad business not to care about your environment.

Unlike Jerryph. I love shooting in the studio. I will never find it boring repetitious or monotonous.

Love & Bass

Jerry thanks a lot for your comment!! I have to give that a lot of thought since I absolutely love on location photography, but I thought a studio might allow me to make more $$$ because I would be able to do classic portraits with different back rounds and such. Craig, I was thinking the same thing! I thought it might be a good thing to have some of your previous work on display, if for nothing but to bring some warmth to the place and it could also help a nervous subject. I guess its all up to the individual. Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Jerry thanks a lot for your comment!! I have to give that a lot of thought since I absolutely love on location photography, but I thought a studio might allow me to make more $$$ because I would be able to do classic portraits with different back rounds and such.

If you're in it for the money... you chose the wrong carreer. ;)

Besides, studios cannot give you this:
3669219491_676eef1fd3.jpg

... or this:
3564025873_f294c7e5c5.jpg

... or this.
3513490877_184a1e46aa.jpg

I could go on, but I think the point is made.

In studio work, you're stuck with this:

3105458545_492a3db02a.jpg

Thats last one is a joke, BTW! :lol: :mrgreen:

My point being, there is no indoor studio on earth that will give you the jaw dropping look of a real sunset.

3628176542_eee5f10942.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back