Studio Shoot - Door Slabs

kcrudolph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To start, I am an Art Director for a small agency. I have taken college photography classes and been taking pictures for the last 8 years. I've only done small table top product shoots for clients, headshots by a window using natural light and outdoor shots to this point. My company oversold my abilities and now I am shooting door slabs in a studio for a client.

I can rent pretty much anything I need from the studio so my question is just about setup.

How should I shoot these door slabs? I am thinking I should lay them down flat and shoot from above. I have to fly down to Phoenix on a Monday night and setup/shoot Tuesday and a half day Wednesday so I can't make anything before to hold the doors upright.

I shoot a 5D Mark II with a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 lens.

Any suggestions on lighting/setup would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Any suggestions on lighting/setup would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

YA ....hire a good commercial photographer....you don't want to ruin your AD position with bad photography :)

I have to agree with Mully... this type of shoot can be difficult. If the slabs have nice grain, you need to be able to light it to emphasize that... with no glare or reflection. Multiple Large scrims are one of the best ways to light items like this, but the scrims have to be evenly lit or you will get hotspots. Bare wood is easier (less reflectivity), but anything with a polished or mirror finish can be a bear!

Had I known this was the assignment I would have, but now it is what it is. No backing out.

I appreciate that sentiment, but advice on the shoot would be more useful at this point.

I have to agree with Mully... this type of shoot can be difficult. If the slabs have nice grain, you need to be able to light it to emphasize that... with no glare or reflection. Multiple Large scrims are one of the best ways to light items like this, but the scrims have to be evenly lit or you will get hotspots. Bare wood is easier (less reflectivity), but anything with a polished or mirror finish can be a bear!

So just constant lighting then? No strobes? Honestly that would be easier for me since my experience with strobes is minimal. Thanks for the feedback cgibson.

Two of these setups crossing at 45 degree angles with a Foba 9' Rolling Studio Stand in the middle shooting straight down... is that a decent start for equipment?

So just constant lighting then? No strobes? Honestly that would be easier for me since my experience with strobes is minimal. Thanks for the feedback cgibson.

Actually I was referring to strobes... Good luck with the shoot!

What are door slabs?  Are you refering to interior doors?

Well then. I'm screwed. Thanks anyways.
That sounds like an accurate assessment.

You would not only need scrims, you would need some black flats too.

As far as angles, Light: Science and Magic explains the 'Family of Angles' that cause reflections.
A book about shooting pool helps too because that's also all about the angles.

They are exterior door slabs, but they haven't been drilled for hardware. The images will be used in a catalog and shown fairly small with the larger shots being beauty shots of doors installed on high-end homes (these shots are already available). These slab shots will show design options for different door collections.

That sounds like an accurate assessment.

You would not only need scrims, you would need some black flats too.

As far as angles, Light: Science and Magic explains the 'Family of Angles' that cause reflections.
A book about shooting pool helps too because that's also all about the angles.

I've got this book ordered and am also doing as much research as I can online beforehand. I also have an appointment with a local photo/video equipment rental company that we've used previously for video work to help me with the setup before I go down to Phoenix.

I know you pros hate amateurs like me, but I am really trying to learn and see this as a great opportunity.

They are exterior door slabs, but they haven't been drilled for hardware. The images will be used in a catalog and shown fairly small with the larger shots being beauty shots of doors installed on high-end homes (these shots are already available). These slab shots will show design options for different door collections.

You will need a macro lens for the detail

Most reactions

New Topics

Back