Studio

MeganChristine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I've posted a thread about this but I can't seem to find it. I have a spare bedroom in my house that I would like to convert into a small studio. My studio will be used for infant and children photography. I do not have the dimensions of the room since my boyfriend is good at hiding thr measuring tape. I uploaded a file so you can see I have decent window light. The window on the left faces north and the window on the right faces east.

PLEASE ignore the horrible lime green walls(the previous owners had some funky taste in color). And please excuse the mess. It's currently bring used as a storage room/a room for my garden.

now my questions.. I've heard that the best color for a studio is 18% grey. Yay or nay? And should I leave the ceiling white or paint it aswell?

Right now I will be using window light until I can get actual studio lights.

any helpful input is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20150423_123447.jpg
    20150423_123447.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 220
The main issue with colored walls, like that green, is that you would get Color cast from it. Basically, as an extreme, if you take a flashlight up to the wall and put your hand next to it the reflection of light would be green in color.

Thus your photos could have weird colors in them, which is what you don't want.
Thus the recommendations (probably) of flat type paint and white or grays, and depending if you are going to bounce light off the walls/ceiling.

If you are using window light initially, then you want it at your back.

But I'm sure the pros will chime in shortly.

I've heard that the best color for a studio is 18% grey. Yay or nay? And should I leave the ceiling white or paint it aswell?
Whatever color you have will affect the WB, so a neutral grey will probably work, or white. I wouldn't worry about the value of it so much as the color of it. Not overly warm or cool, but neutral in color. (avoid some of the "antique white" colors) The value could be lighter than 18%, and probably should be, considering that the room is small. You don't want to get the feeling that the walls are closing in on you.

Myself, I would paint it all white, because you'll be bouncing your flash off the ceiling and walls.

(edit) Side note: In the other thread I said if I were going to make over a room in my own house... I was thinking of a larger room than yours, wherein bouncing light from walls would not be in the plan.

Last edited:
I went with a light gray...worked well. I hope you have some studio flash lighting gear. Look into inexpensive monolights, and don't waste money on anything more powerful than 150 watt-seconds per light; the room is so small anything else will be wasted money.

Would grey walls and an off white ceiling be okay? Or should the ceiling be grey too?

Would grey walls and an off white ceiling be okay? Or should the ceiling be grey too?
Decorators sometimes want the ceiling to be different from the walls, but to me, it's not worth the effort.

Just whatever you prefer, as long as the "off white" doesn't have a color cast to it.

White or grey, for photography, it isn't going to make any difference.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my home studio. I painted the walls a flat, light gray and left the ceiling white. I'd probably avoid an off white color.

Got a flat white and a flat medium grey. Got the room about halfway done. Will post pictures when it's done.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

I think I've posted a thread about this but I can't seem to find it. I have a spare bedroom in my house that I would like to convert into a small studio. My studio will be used for infant and children photography. I do not have the dimensions of the room since my boyfriend is good at hiding thr measuring tape ...
any helpful input is greatly appreciated!!

Check under his pillow. It's probably there along side his gun.

It's almost done! (One more stinking wall to do). Now here's another question, there's wooden trim around the room that's a dark brown/red. Will that hinder my photography? I just might be able to paint that white. It also has a wooden floor but I'm not going to do anything with that (besides put some carpet down if need be)

Here is a pic of the room color now

Attachments

• 20150427_114601.jpg
    20150427_114601.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 177
Will that hinder my photography?
No. The total area of the trim is pretty small compared to walls and ceiling, so you probably will not be able to detect any color reflected onto your subject.

(edit) I just looked at the photos of the room, and there is a small chance that the color of the floor could influence the photographs, but only if you have subjects on the floor, or bounce your flash off the floor, so I wouldn't worry any about the floor color.

Last edited:
It's all done!! Thanks everyone!! I'll be posting more questions sometime soon. Thank you all for being so helpful!

Attachments

• 20150427_164220.jpg
    20150427_164220.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20150427_164214.jpg
    20150427_164214.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 180

Most reactions

New Topics

Back