Stumbling Blocks

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What are the things that keep some very good photographers from becoming great photographers?

How can one avoid or overcome these obstacles?

-

What are the things that keep some very good photographers from becoming great photographers? Location Location Location

: Get up off your butt and move.....

Seriously my location blows and I can't afford to move :(

The absence of time.

The absence of a creative community with whom to interact - to discuss, to display, to critique, from whom to be challenged and with whom to ultimately grow.

The absence of a creative community with whom to interact - to discuss, to display, to critique, from whom to be challenged and with whom to ultimately grow.

I often think about the French impressionists. It's been many years since I studied their interactions, but it seems they for the most part fit in to what you describe.

I've recently joined a local group, frankly I don't see it coming to much at this point, but I have to see faces (I think). The internet is too damn big, but there are a few photographers that make small parts of it worthwhile.

Battou,

You have a valid point also. I can't do landscapes in my office. I got to get some air.

Think of almost any great photographer and you'll think, almost without exception, of a particular genre of pictures. Penn: unusual portraiture. Cartier-Brisson: 'street' photography. Adams: landscapes. Arbus: the 'horror' lurking behind everyday reality. Weegee: front-page news with a dash of vinegar. Ylla, Karsh and Leibovitz can readily be added to the list along with many more, in each case conjuring immediately their own special imprint.

In any creative art form there are practitioners considered 'great'. They have found their own individual recognizable 'voice'. Van Gogh, Bach, Rodin, Dickens, Dior, Gaudi and Ray will serve as examples in seven different disciplines. We can encounter one of their mature works for the very first time and make a very good guess as to the identity of the artist.

Great photographers have found their own 'voice', just as we find in the music of great composers or the books of great authors. The greatest of these have so refined that 'voice' that we can recognize it when viewing examples of their work.

'Nuff said.

Battou,

You have a valid point also. I can't do landscapes in my office. I got to get some air.

On the same token I can't go out and get landscapes of the calibur that I have seen from you....this little city I live in is just all sorts of in the way, even in the country side around it.

I'm sure that my greatest block is lack of self-esteem. And lack of creativity.
But then I am not made to become "great", anyway ...

Confidence!!.:er:

I enjoy getting out and taking the photos, and capturing moments that others dont see. But I totally lack any confidence in my photos. Sometimes I outright hate my stuff even tho others like it. I think that is one reason I could never take photography seriously.

But then I am not made to become "great", anyway ...

If thats what you think, that is what will happen. ;)
One of the defining traits of any "great" person in any art is their unshakeable belief in themselves. That belief along with the opinions of your peers define you as such.

When I was in music, on a daily basis, EVERYONE told me how good I was, that I was destined for greatness. Over time, I began to believe it, and in 12 world class competitions, I won 12 first place trophies because in my mind, there was no one better, hence, I worked harder than everyone to make sure of this. It is this singular focus that pushes one from one plateau to another... but at that level, one has to be careful not to fall off that very high mountain that everyone places you on, becuase it hurts. :)

My photography is currently only for me, and no one else, hence no one else's opinion of if I am good or bad really matters. What makes a great photographer? The opinion of your peers and not much else.

Many call Ansel Adams a great photographer, but if you look at his work, it is not technically perfect, it is often not asthetically perfect, but it is often damn good. He of himself did not think of himself as a "great photographer", people and his peers made him great, his death, made him immortal.

How you present yourself to the world, and how the world reacts to your presentation of you, defines greatness. This is why some of the greatest artists have to this day never even become known... due to their lack of self-esteem. Ironic that it happens this way so often, becuase talent should be the yard-stick upon which we are measured, not attitude, esteem or opinions of other less knowledgeable in our field.

What are the things that keep some very good photographers from becoming great photographers?

-

Perhaps one such a reason would be the inability of one to see his or her personal ability.
As in underestimating ones self.
Adding to that maybe the lack of a mentor to polish ones strengths while pointing out the errors, flaws, and weaknesses.

I think another stumbling block, and this is with all due respect to the comments earlier regarding discussion, is the dependance on others, the unwillingness of an artist to stand up for their work. Difference is a recognizable quality. There is no one that everybody likes, or for that matter, dislikes. If we have enough fortitude to be who we are and do what we feel despite the pressures of other's opinions, then one is on their way to confront their destiny, good, bad, or indifferent. If we rely on others to develop our judgment, and the more we consider, the more mediocre we become.

That said, being able to see other people's points of view is critical to grow-- one of the biggest mistakes you can make is being so sure of yourself that you never improve.

Planning. If you are going to be successful at anything you have to have planned at least a little. The more complex the goal, the more planning involved.

Completely agree..."Plan the work, and work the plan."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back