Subsistence for Santa and the Reindeer

my tip is if your an english major..., check your spelling.. its sustenance... AND

heres your christmas preset stsinner

20081225-m6mh6sga2pj8c91k6179d97s87.jpg

20081225-682q1wrkg4xps5k6xpsj8ffsj.jpg

if i read that correctly... suBsistence is the ACT of maintaining life... however suStenance is what you use to keep you alive (food)

yeehaw,, the theology major out wits the english major!! lol j/ks

Chris, the word was a cut and paste of the person correcting me.... That's part of the lesson and free Christmas present. I was not only corrected incorrectly, twice now, the word offered as a correction was spelled wrong. Get it?

My definition of subsistence was a cut and paste from Merriam Webster dictionary, not my own words, so evidently either is appropriate.

The word is valid in this instance.. Chalk it up to a learning experience. Although source can be used as a verb, in this case, where there is the letter a before it, it is being used as a noun. So carrots and cookies are the source in this case of subsistence.

sus2.jpg

And that's my Christmas present? You're cheap!

guess you both got a dictionary from santa this year. haha but i think technically the proper term depends on the context and in this case i think the point is awarded to chris for finding the "better" definition that fits. if i were a heavy set jolly fellow in a heavy red coat dragging presents down a chimney for people all around the globe, i would need more than five cookies as my "minimum necessary to support life." plus three carrots for 8 reindeer? that'll be interesting. reindeer fight club anyone? :D sorry kids but santa has standards when it comes to mooching cookies and milk.

i think the point is awarded to chris for finding the "better" definition that fits.

Fine. I lose. As usual.

oh and that is a crap load of presents stsinner and great pictures

Whoda thunk for only 3 kids.. Ridiculous, if you ask me, but what can you do.... I tell my wife that I don't spoil my kids-I just give them what they want...

Looks like a nice looking setup. Maybe one day when she is away, you can slip in a bigger one and see if she notices :shock: :)

Now there's a thought! I've always wanted at least a 55-gallon, but my biggest was a 38-gallon. The larger ones are better because the little things like dead leaves on your plants don't affect your Ph as much because their detrimental effects are diluted more.. The hex tanks are a whole 'nother animal because the rule of 1 inch of fish per gallon is only true for standard rectangle tanks. That's because the bio load is dependent on the surface of water exposed to the atmosphere, and in a hex it's much less than standard.. I've finally got this tank cycled very well, and all those plants you see are live, so it's pretty healthy. I just lost 5 neons and a corydora in the great power outage of '08 when the tank got down to 48 degrees, but I've bought two gouramis and three black mollies to take their place. I've always had great luck with gouramis, and they're a nice sized fish.

I took this picture of the tank with my daughter looking at the fish, and I think it's really nice:

09_10_2008_1405.jpg

Nice pics.

We opened presents with half of the family last night on Christmas Eve. Here is a pic I snapped before we all sat down to open presents.

IMG_1386.jpg

Now we're off to the other half of the family's house to open more presents... hopefully more pics will follow.

:D

Merry Christmas everyone!

Looks like, in addition to a nice gun collection and a nice car, you a nice house, too.. I was talking to a buddy of mine last night when we were over for dinner, and your guns came up.. He's got 40-50 guns, both handguns and rifles, and he said he's love to have your 1911.. Who wouldn't.

Merry Christmas back at ya.

Well to me both of you are right.

sub⋅sist⋅ence  /səbˈsɪs
thinsp.png
təns
/
–noun 1.the state or fact of subsisting.2.the state or fact of existing.3.the providing of sustenance or support.4.means of supporting life; a living or livelihood.5.the source from which food and other items necessary to exist are obtained.6.Philosophy. a.
existence, especially of an independent entity.b.the quality of having timeless or abstract existence.c.mode of existence or that by which a substance is individualized. From dictionary.com

Well to me both of you are right.

sub⋅sist⋅ence  /səbˈsɪs
thinsp.png
təns
/
–noun 1.the state or fact of subsisting.2.the state or fact of existing.3.the providing of sustenance or support.4.means of supporting life; a living or livelihood.5.the source from which food and other items necessary to exist are obtained.6.Philosophy. a.
existence, especially of an independent entity.b.the quality of having timeless or abstract existence.c.mode of existence or that by which a substance is individualized. From dictionary.com

I knew I was right-I just wanted to end the silly banter so as to not seem argumentative..

Now there's a thought! I've always wanted at least a 55-gallon, but my biggest was a 38-gallon. The larger ones are better because the little things like dead leaves on your plants don't affect your Ph as much because their detrimental effects are diluted more.. The hex tanks are a whole 'nother animal because the rule of 1 inch of fish per gallon is only true for standard rectangle tanks. That's because the bio load is dependent on the surface of water exposed to the atmosphere, and in a hex it's much less than standard.. I've finally got this tank cycled very well, and all those plants you see are live, so it's pretty healthy. I just lost 5 neons and a corydora in the great power outage of '08 when the tank got down to 48 degrees, but I've bought two gouramis and three black mollies to take their place. I've always had great luck with gouramis, and they're a nice sized fish.

I took this picture of the tank with my daughter looking at the fish, and I think it's really nice:

09_10_2008_1405.jpg

Nice shot, I like it. Looks like a glass tank. I don't have any shots of mine as it's plastic and I've yet to get a clear shot: can't use a flash, of course, and my slow shutter ones just don't come out. :( - I'll get it one day.

Nice shot, I like it. Looks like a glass tank. I don't have any shots of mine as it's plastic and I've yet to get a clear shot: can't use a flash, of course, and my slow shutter ones just don't come out. :( - I'll get it one day.

Yeah, it's glass all right, with sealed corners.. I was very scared that it was going to freeze and break a seam... But I lucked out. I'd love to get one of the new acrylic tanks, but I don't have the cash..

The tank looks a little cloudy in this pic, and it is still today... When people question me on it, I say, "How does the lake look where these fish likely came from?" Doubt it was any more clear than this...

I knew I was right-I just wanted to end the silly banter so as to not seem argumentative..

My spelling may have been incorrect but your being an english major leads me to believe a change in majors is in order. Put this one up for discussion with your professor.

Yeah, it's glass all right, with sealed corners.. I was very scared that it was going to freeze and break a seam... But I lucked out. I'd love to get one of the new acrylic tanks, but I don't have the cash...
Ya, seams scare me too. Keep you eyes open for used ones. We got ours from some friends there were moving years ago for cheap (something like $50 for the whole setup: tank, wooden stand, etc.). Same here; there's No way we could afford a new setup!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back