Suggested feature - forum jargon buster

I get it
turn this forum into a website in which someone can ask a question and it would spit out an answer

a nice knowledgebase

In all the other forums I haunt, acronymns are SOP. AFAIK, none of them are trying to create a solution to a problem that doesn't exists.

If someone doesn't understand an abbreviation, they usually ask for clarification. ("What is IQ?", "DOF???", or "What do you mean by SOOC?").

Crickies.... if we start to revamp the way the forum functions every time ONE person gets their panties in a wad, we just as all well log off and never return.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Oops, sorry. Just my two cents worth.

Lets get this back on track.

I don't think pandering to people help them grow. I can't be bothered to donate my time and knowledge to someone who isn't willing to do any work on their end. I am not your personal googling machine.

Wow. Ok, you really should think about what you're saying here.

How is typing "depth of field" pandering to someone? How much of an elitist do you have to be to think that typing 9 extra characters in a sentence that takes half a second is akin to pandering?

How accessible do you want this site to be? Would you rather there be no new users, no site growth, no learning resource for beginners, and stagnation? Do you remember when you started shooting and you had someone explain a simple camera function to you? Well, according to you, they shouldn't have, they should have made you go research it yourself, even though it took near zero effort on their part. You were pandered to, according to your absolutely ridiculous definition of pandering. You took a handout and now you're telling others that they don't deserve help. Do you have any sense of reality outside of your elitist delusion?

I don't think pandering to people help them grow. I can't be bothered to donate my time and knowledge to someone who isn't willing to do any work on their end. I am not your personal googling machine.

Wow. Ok, you really should think about what you're saying here. ............

Who is this 'Ok' you're referring to?

I'm starting to think this site is just filled with a bunch of trolls.

Wow. Ok, you really should think about what you're saying here. ............

Who is this 'Ok' you're referring to?

I'm going out on a limb here and guess, the Oklahomans?

One other thing that just occurred, and it is actually pretty ironic. If a guy does get on and posts the question, "What is DOF" if I understand the board's proposed function as described the abbreviation DOF as it appears in his question would then be highlighted/underlined and if he were to mouse over it he would answer his own question - which would pretty much make that the ultimate self help guide right there. Which of course, is a rather fun little bit of irony when you stop and think about it.

Also when you stop an think about it were talking about a fairly innocuous feature that really wouldn't have much affect at all on those who don't have an interest in it's use. So, what do you folks say - maybe we can all retract the claws a bit? I think we are scaring the new cat!

As stated in the first post, we already have his feature - as shown here. This is purely about extending that functionality to terms that appear commonly in photography. Like some others I'm honestly quite baffled as to why people are so hostile or resistive against this proposal. All it does is make things easier- the whole purpose of this site education and aid toward fellow photographers and yet some seem to think that if its too easy something bad will happen. That the knowledge of photography somehow will be trivialised and lesser if it not hidden behind hoops and barriers.

I don't understand how utilizing a technology that we already have access to is a bad thing. All technology is created to make life easier. Did you hear libraries complain about helping people access information once google came along? Nope....

For all of you who are voting "no", all I have to say is that it won't affect you. In no way will making acronyms less mysterious affect you our your use of this site. It costs you nothing. It might however help someone else out. If you can't be bothered to help people who may utilize this feature, well by all means, choose to ignore them.

And none of you have considered the effect of mobile use with this site. Its a bigger pain in the @$$ to get out of one app to look something up in another. Heaven forbid we should make the internet easier to use.

I don't understand how utilizing a technology that we already have access to is a bad thing. All technology is created to make life easier. Did you hear libraries complain about helping people access information once google came along? Nope....

For all of you who are voting "no", all I have to say is that it won't affect you. In no way will making acronyms less mysterious affect you our your use of this site. It costs you nothing. It might however help someone else out. If you can't be bothered to help people who may utilize this feature, well by all means, choose to ignore them.

And none of you have considered the effect of mobile use with this site. Its a bigger pain in the @$$ to get out of one app to look something up in another. Heaven forbid we should make the internet easier to use.

Tell that to Robert Oppenheimer and about 1/2 million Japanese who lived in and around Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August of 1945.

As for those mobile users, your not really helping them. No mouse, no curser, no magic pop-up. I already tried it on my iPad and iPhone. You don't have to get out of one app to go to another, you just open a new tab in your browser and look it up.

I don't have a problem with the technology, but who is going to step up and create the data base with all the potential acronyms? Remember, there are a wide range of people here with a wide range of experience. If you have any military time you have a whole nother group of acronyms to choose from that are commonly used around here. You sure you want some of those acronyms popping up because they won't pop up as @$$. Talk about FUBAR (Fucked Up Beyond All Repair) then.

Last edited:
Wow. Ok, you really should think about what you're saying here. How is typing "depth of field" pandering to someone? How much of an elitist do you have to be to think that typing 9 extra characters in a sentence that takes half a second is akin to pandering? How accessible do you want this site to be? Would you rather there be no new users, no site growth, no learning resource for beginners, and stagnation? Do you remember when you started shooting and you had someone explain a simple camera function to you? Well, according to you, they shouldn't have, they should have made you go research it yourself, even though it took near zero effort on their part. You were pandered to, according to your absolutely ridiculous definition of pandering. You took a handout and now you're telling others that they don't deserve help. Do you have any sense of reality outside of your elitist delusion?

When talking to a beginner I will spell out things, when typing towards people I know understand I will use an acronym. It is not my job to edit everything I type to make it easier for every single person to understand.

Secondly your attitude sucks. You've been here for a minute and so far you've spent your entire time bitching at people. If that is how you plan on spending your time here you are more than welcome to participate in an online community that is more satisfactory to your disposition.

Last edited:
If I'm bitching about the behavior of regular site users after only a few posts, you know something is wrong. You guys are acting like it's the end of the internet for someone to understand acronyms. If that's the attitude you have, you should leave this site for people who are decent.

If I'm bitching about the behavior of regular site users after only a few posts, you know something is wrong. You guys are acting like it's the end of the internet for someone to understand acronyms. If that's the attitude you have, you should leave this site for people who are decent.

And you're nominating yourself as King of the Decent?

You need to take a good, long look in a mirror.
Smiley_spiegel.gif

Sorry, but when someone comes bursting onto a forum with this kind of 'tude........ err, sorry........ Attitude....... Count me out.

The funny thing is, this whole issue popped up because one, single newb had an issue; I've been here for 26,000-plus posts and have NEVER, as in not ONCE, heard a complaint about the use of acronyms (except certain people bemoaning the use of the term MWAC)....but...a newb had an issue a few hours ago, and so, BOOM! One of the mod squad seems to be ON IT like stink on ****.

Despite, in the past, long-time members having suggested improvements, and so on, this one newb comes along, whines a bit and BOOM!! INSTANT upgrade of TPF capabilities. Upgrading to add something that's of basically, a little bit more than zero usefulness

Most reactions

New Topics

Back