Suggestion needed : Best DSLR for photography which can be used for Vlogging also

tanmoysengupta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am planning to purchase a DSLR so need some suggestions/advice. My purpose is both photography & vlogging. I have been searching the best available model but unable to take the final decisions. Kindly help me to choose the best one. My budget is $1000. Here are my shortlist :

Fujifilm X-T100 (with XC15-45mmF3.5-5.6 OIS PZ Lens- Bundle with XC 50-230mm)
Canon M50
Nikon D5600
Nikon D7200 (Lacks articulating screen)
Sony Alpha A6300L (only issue : manual focus)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85

If I am missing anything please recommend that also. I am a amateur photographer so its obvious that I missed out some great models available.

Thanks in advance.

my vote: the Sony.
What do you mean with "manual focus"?
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say no touch screen. So if I want to swap focus points on multiple objects, touchscreen is very useful.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say no touch screen. So if I want to swap focus points on multiple objects, touchscreen is very useful.

True - I wonder whether the other cams in your list could do that though. Touch screen is one thing, but consistent good autofocus during video recording is another. So even if these cameras have touch screen to swap focus points, make sure their video autofocus is decent.

True - I wonder whether the other cams in your list could do that though. Touch screen is one thing, but consistent good autofocus during video recording is another. So even if these cameras have touch screen to swap focus points, make sure their video autofocus is decent.
Yes except the Sony, rest do have touchscreen (articulated). What I got to know is, Canon has the best autofocus as their famous Dual Pixed CMOS autofocus is one of the best autofocus in this price range. But its 4K video is cropped & zoomed. Later I found the recently launched Fuji X T-100 model, which are being suggested by every experts who are getting hand on with it. But it can only support 4K at 15 FPS. Though I think 1080p 60 FPS is just fine for Vlogging as this Fuji is seriously capable of taking some quality images. In fact I found Fuji's color reproduction one of the best. And auto focus is also fine. Still before buying I want to make sure, I shouldnt have missed a better one available.

Try the Panasonic Lumix G9............
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely check the reviews in YouTube.

Yes except the Sony, rest do have touchscreen (articulated). What I got to know is, Canon has the best autofocus as their famous Dual Pixed CMOS autofocus is one of the best autofocus in this price range. But its 4K video is cropped & zoomed. Later I found the recently launched Fuji X T-100 model, which are being suggested by every experts who are getting hand on with it. But it can only support 4K at 15 FPS. Though I think 1080p 60 FPS is just fine for Vlogging as this Fuji is seriously capable of taking some quality images. In fact I found Fuji's color reproduction one of the best. And auto focus is also fine. Still before buying I want to make sure, I shouldnt have missed a better one available.

I heard great things about the fuji too. Nothing about the canon yet. I'm not sure regarding native lenses for the canon m mount. Since they just introduced their new mirrorless line, I don't think "m" is here to stay, but that is just a guess. People also said that about sony e-mount just a short while back. Regarding 4k - 1080p should be enough for v-logging. I use 4k for my youtube vids though.

Do you vlog outside and need a separate microphone rather than built in. Some cameras don;t have a separate mike and create a lot of noise if it's windy.

Do you vlog outside and need a separate microphone rather than built in. Some cameras don;t have a separate mike and create a lot of noise if it's windy.
That is great advise. You could however use an external recorder and synch in post with software like Plural Eyes - but that is more work and more money.

Yes that's a must have requirement. Btw is there any camera better than Fuji F-T100 under $1000 ? Which are those ? Thanks for your reply.

I don’t know anything about that particular Fuji camera or about video so take this for what it’s worth - I do have that 50-230xc lens and it is super sharp and it’s nice and small and lightweight for a “long” zoom. Fits in my jacket pocket when hiking. I also researched the 15-45xc lens and found nothing negative other than those who don’t like the plastic build. Personally, I don’t mind that because that’s why they are so small and light. Great for travel.

The best Camera for your requirements is probably not a DSLR. Fortunately only the Nikons on your shortlist are DSLRs, the remainder are all mirrorless.
Which is best for YOU will depend on many factors both those related to the specs - how much will you be carrying it around, how important is low light usage etc - as well as ergonomic factors we can't advise on - how it feels in YOUR hands. A nice compact camera for one person is a fiddly thing to someone else.

For anything Canon that would be used for vlogging... you want to make sure it has "Dual Pixel CMOS-AF". That's Canon's technology which embeds phase-detect auto-focus capability directly in the imaging sensor and that means the camera can perform continuous and accurate auto-focus even if the subject is moving around.

There are other cameras that do continuous auto-focus ... but they don't use phase-detect style auto-focus which means that they can detect the subject is falling out of focus... but they have to do "focus hunt" to re-acquire focus (you notice the camera doing several quick shifts of focus before re-locking focus.... whereas in a phase-detect type auto-focus the camera just snaps directly to the correct focus distance without having to "hunt" for it.) Not all Canon models have this feature... but most newer models do.

Sony DSLRs (the models that actually have a reflex mirror) use a non-moving semi-transparent mirror so that some of the light is bounced down into the phase-detect focus sensors. This allows them to do full-time focus during live video. Those are Sony "A" mount cameras. Sony's mirrorless cameras do not have this ability ... they have to do "focus hunt" (those are the "E" mount cameras).

Nikon doesn't have any cameras that can do continuous auto-focus during video without having to do "focus hunt" (the reflex mirror has to swing clear of the sensor when going into live-view or video and that means they can't bounce light into the phase-detect focus sensor and they don't have any compensating technology ... something similar to Canon's "Dual Pixel CMOS-AF", etc.)

I don't know what Fuji or Panasonic use on their mirrorless cameras... but you might want to check on that to avoid doing videos where moving subjects results in several quick shifts of focus (very distracting to see) whenever the subject distance changes.

BTW, as Petrochemist pointed out... out of the cameras in your list are "mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras" (MILC ... you sill sometimes hear people just say "milk" cameras (but it's nothing to do with a cow)).

The best Camera for your requirements is probably not a DSLR. Fortunately only the Nikons on your shortlist are DSLRs, the remainder are all mirrorless.
Which is best for YOU will depend on many factors both those related to the specs - how much will you be carrying it around, how important is low light usage etc - as well as ergonomic factors we can't advise on - how it feels in YOUR hands. A nice compact camera for one person is a fiddly thing to someone else.
Thanks for the valuable suggestion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back