Suggestions for Online Photo Degree

red03stang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am seriously considering a career in photography and i am trying to get some info on schools

Is there any online photography degrees that any of you would recomend?

I currently have a construction company and we are still busy even in this economy. My problem is i am having problems with all the book work. So, I am looking for a change and trying to get as much info as possible.

If you are really considering a career change just go to school and forget the online degree. I am no expert but I do not think anyone considering hiring you is going to be impressed with an online degree.

I belive what you are better (or were intending) looking for is a home study course offered by a university or college - something that allows you to study and progress whilst not having to stop your day job or having to move/rent accomodation.
I can't help with pointing one out but I think this is the road that you are thinking of following.

If the one example of a graduate I saw was teh norm, don't bother with NYIP.

I was speaking to this one guy who completed this course and was out shooting a parade. He didn't know the difference between a telephoto and macro!

Personally just go visit a local college or university. Online is gerat for newbs trying to learn the basics, and those basics can be mastered without a degree and in WAY less time and money.

Just a note... degrees are highly important in the north american cultures, however, your chances of being hired due to a degree in photography are slim to none. People that hire look at your portfolio and experience, rarely do they even care if you have a degree or not.

really and you have applied for how many jobs that prove this fact??.

In my field the degree just really allows the resume to get past my HR dept and come to me. I look mainly at experience/job history/attitude more than what college someone went to.

Degrees in my field are required and are always a great foundations but does not make anyone "smarter" or more capable.

If anything someone with a degree might know the technical words better than someone without but the theory behind it all is most important.

By all means take a few courses and learn but like Jerry said the basics can be mastered far sooner on your own than a degree as long as you know how to read and retain information.

I agree with Jerry. In most situation, I believe the portfolio can prove the person ability.

For other jobs, it may be easier (or required) with a degree. I do not know about others, if I am going to hire a professional photographer, experience and the person's portfolio is important to me.

Hmm I agree with parts of comments;
I think in the end - at crunch time - a photographer is an artist and when a photographer is hired it is on the basis of the work he/she has done and shows in a portfolio. However getting to crunch time - getting that interview - might often rely upon having a bit of paper to get you past the human resources departments filtering.
So in the end both parts can have equal weight in getting hired - though I would say that a portfolio is a show of your skills and can show your full capabilities whilst a degree also shows how you work on tasks which are not nessessarily what you find the most interesting or have the most time to complete.

I will agree though that you can learn many of the basics and the advanced stuff from the internet and books. Especially in the digital line where experimentation is cheaper and quicker than with film.
For starting out I would attach yourself to 2 or 3 forums online (one down ;)) and start to take shots, post them and the basic description of them up (camera, lens, ISO, f number and shutter speed) and get people to comment on them. Also float about into sections where your interests may not directly lie - you can pick up lots of little tips that way.

I guess it also depends on what type of photography you intend on doing and how much experience you have already.

Hello...
Not sure about what type of problems you are referring to your bookwork...
My problem is i am having problems with all the book work
But in my opinion if you are still busy and enjoy what you do. Then look for a solution to that book Work problem... Unless you really want to change career. I think photography might be very competitive these days. I don't know much about the industry because i just do it as a hobby. There is a mix of opinions about the online degree and career change in photography. I personally am a strong believer of traditional school over online. (that is just my opinion). On the other hand, If you have a portfolio and feel strong about the field (photography) and what you want to do, I'd say go ahead a jump and develop your photography skills. Not sure if obtaining a degree on photography will give you an advantage over a graduate from a traditional school with a portfolio. But anyway you go... Good Luck!!!

I personally would save the money, buy 'The Negative' by Ansel Adams and 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson, ask questions here, buy a butt-load of gear and have fun learning the nuts and bolts of photography. NYIP is around $1000 and gives you a lot of information you can get elsewhere for much less.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back