Suggestions on next lens purchase

dustin0479

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just like the title says, I currently have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Sigma 18-200.
I love doing portraits, what lens would you suggest for my next purchase based on what you use. My body is a D300

Well we can list endless lenses - but what is important is what YOU feel you need. What are your requirements? Do you feel that you need a longer lens all the time - or at the ranges you currently have good enough? IF they are what ranges do you use the most? Maybe you could do with a good prime lens to give improved performance over some of the zooms - or just for a wider maximum aperture for more light gathering and selective focus options.

Are you planning on fullframe cameras at any point - have you any lighting gear - do you have any rough idea of budget in mind?

Good questions. I a looking to spend 400-650 roughly. I have no intention of switching to full frame cameras.
My current gear
Nikon D300
Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Nikon 50 f1.8
Sigma 18-200
SB600 flash (with stand and umbrella)
2x Flashpoint 150w strobes with umbrellas and 24" softbox.

I have been usng the 50mm f1.8 mainly for portraits but at times find myself swapping for the slower 18-200 sigma due to the ability to go wider.

What are your thoughts on the
Sigma 28-70 F2.8 EXDG (non HSM, non OS lens)?
or the
Sigma 17-50 f2.8 HSM OS

Last edited:
To be hundred percent honest... You have everything you need for portraits, 50 1.8 and 70-200 on dx are killer portrait lenses, plus you have the off camera lighting. Sure you can go to 85 1.8 but... Focal length wise it's not much more than the 50 and the 70-200 covers it, it might be better at dof but ur 70-200 should be about the same at 200 2.8. What you are missing out on is a decent wide angle lens, If I were you, I would invest in a 12-24 f4 or 10-20 sigma or even a 11-16 tokina. You have everything you need, just have a case of gear lust.

If you want to go wider for portraits don't bother with an 85 or so, maybe the new 28 1.8 lens? The reviews look great and it's not as close the 50mm focal length where as the 35 1.8 would be. If $$$ is an issue just get the 35 and don't look back.

I am actually leaning towards a 17-50 f2.8. I know everyone preaches primes but It would be nice to have a wider fast lens.

Well we can list endless lenses - but what is important is what YOU feel you need. What are your requirements? Do you feel that you need a longer lens all the time - or at the ranges you currently have good enough? IF they are what ranges do you use the most? Maybe you could do with a good prime lens to give improved performance over some of the zooms - or just for a wider maximum aperture for more light gathering and selective focus options.

Are you planning on fullframe cameras at any point - have you any lighting gear - do you have any rough idea of budget in mind?

I agree with that, we can give you so many options but in the end you have to pick what you like and need. I suggest you to look around Amazon, that's where I get all of my equipment and the prices aren't too high as well. :)

I am actually leaning towards a 17-50 f2.8. I know everyone preaches primes but It would be nice to have a wider fast lens.
I don't feel that way at all, everyone preaches the trinity, 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200 and for good reason. The 17-50 is a great lens and it will serve you well, in fact I have a feeling it will become the lens that stays on your camera the most. I would still go for the 12-24 but that is just my style of shooting, I have wanted a 17-50 2.8 but to be honest I do 90% of my work with just 10-20 and a 35 1.8 it would be more continent for me to have the 17-50 but that's just it, it's just convenient and not any better than my current setup. If I need tele I mount a 105 micro or 80-200 afs 2.8.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back