Suggestions Please!

clee27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Long story short...I found a part time job at this place ... I met this guy! Great guy! (not like that >.<) BUT, what happened was I told him I take pictures, I took pictures of him and he is an actor/producer kind of person and well now he's introducing me to ALL of his friends as a great photographer....he helped me come up with pricing for my pictures (as I didn't have faith in myself and how much I should charge people) so he thought of all of that for me.

he's getting me more and more clients....and slowly becoming my manager...how does that work? i'm slowly working on a website and trying to get into this photography thing a bit more...but i feel so behind compared to everyone else....

i need help! when should i start getting a lawyer to handle my "manager" and "finances" and such and such. He hasn't asked for any of the money that i've made so far BUT he might in the future and OF COURSE I wouldn't MIND BUT how do I go about it....after all it is business ... how much can I trust him?

Seeking advice...xooxoxoxoxoxo

Why not just ask him? You apparently didn't hire him as a PR manager. If he keeps steering people to you, ask if he wants a cut (why am I talking like a drug dealer?).
Or you can not ask and not pay him and when he eventually comes asking for payment, either pay him or coldly let him know that you don't intend to and there's nothing he can do about it.
But then I've never met a photographer that had a manager, just photog bosses with photog employees.

Why not just ask him? You apparently didn't hire him as a PR manager. If he keeps steering people to you, ask if he wants a cut (why am I talking like a drug dealer?).
Or you can not ask and not pay him and when he eventually comes asking for payment, either pay him or coldly let him know that you don't intend to and there's nothing he can do about it.
But then I've never met a photographer that had a manager, just photog bosses with photog employees.

Well I asked him in the beginning and he said it's fine. But I don't know when he'll start asking. I have a manager ... I guess because I never really believed that I was any good at it. He said you should really start charging people for all the work you do....I used to just do it for free and for fun but ....then I met him and i've been getting lots of clients....I don't know how "normal" photographer business is like....and it's really hard for me to "meet people" hey wanna take pictures and such and such....

Also another thing, I charge too little (makes it sound like I have no skill, then they don't want pictures) I charge too much (which I don't know what too much is and they don't come for pictures) he actually gave me a "decent" starting price and are continuously bringing me clients...I guess i'll ask him next time we talk! I really suck at the "business aspect" of photography I just want to take pictures!!!! (and make some income, in need of it atm.)

Thanks for the advice xoxoxoxo

Definitely sounds like a good arrangement, but I agree with bahandi; make it official and get something down on paper to protect both of you.

Well if he can consistently bring you clients, than I think a commission or finders fee is fair, but eventually all the people who have their head shots done by you will tell their friends and pass on you cards, an new customers will just start coming directly to you, making the middleman obsolete.

If you are going to stay with this as a full time vocation, you better nail this down fast.

Your work is your only true proof of your skill. Having someone acting as your agent is one thing, a "manager" is ridiculus.

Not to be a downer here but you need to think of this guys motives. I looked through some of your work, its alright, your definatly improving but in all honesty it is far from professional. I suggest you have a serious talk with this "manager" about what his angle is, something here seems off.

I think a good start would be to get rid of the purple font. I really can't see taking a question about professional issues typed in purple font seriously.

I think a good start would be to get rid of the purple font. I really can't see taking a question about professional issues typed in purple font seriously.

Despite my general dislike for JIP, I have to admit he is right about the purple font - it looks too high school girly, very unprofessional. Also, MySpace does not belong in your signature, if you are going pro. I also looked at your work - good but still has room for improvement for celeb standards. Keep practicing. Some recent pro level equip soon would also help - D300 or 40D would be good and some pro lenses.

Most reactions

Back