Sun Worshiper

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
443 (3)tznatural2.jpg

Obviously a very bright day. Any suggestions on how to deal with it in PS? I did a basic color correction and a de-haze but that's it. It seems the turtle itself is exposed alright but everything around it is brighter than I like. Thanks!

Nice shot!

Any suggestions on how to deal with it in PS?

I don't know the terminology for the different filters so I'll try and describe what you may try. Lower the overall exposure down until you get the surrounding areas shaded as you would like. Then using a brush, "paint" the turtle and raise the exposure back up. Only the painted portion of the image should be affected by raising the expoure back up. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

Great photo..so much wildlife in your view

Nice shot!

Any suggestions on how to deal with it in PS?

I don't know the terminology for the different filters so I'll try and describe what you may try. Lower the overall exposure down until you get the surrounding areas shaded as you would like. Then using a brush, "paint" the turtle and raise the exposure back up. Only the painted portion of the image should be affected by raising the expoure back up. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks for pointing that out, my eyes are kinda shot. Is this better? I lowed the exposure, the overall light, increased the mid tones and contrast, lowered the highlights and scratched my head. :icon_scratch: (I've never done the isolation/painting before, not sure how to do it.)
443 (3)tznatural3.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out, my eyes are kinda shot. Is this better? I lowed the exposure, the overall light, increased the mid tones and contrast, lowered the highlights and scratched my head. :icon_scratch: (I've never done the isolation/painting before, not sure how to do it.)

Yes - it looks better but my opinion is subjective. The bottom line is, it all depends on what you are trying to portray. As far as not having "painted" before, I would suggest watching some youtube videos on how it is done. It is a "tool" in PS that is very commonly used, more so than most people will admit. I use it a lot in Lightroom - matter of fact, I learned most of what I know about Lightroom by watching youtube tutorials, not only Lightroom but other software I use to edit/process photos. (and I am in no way an expert - I'm still learning) As good as you already are with your photography, learning "more" about other tools available to you will only improve what you are already good at. BTW - My opinion about what makes the difference between a professional photographer and an accomplished enthusist is not so much the equipment used (camera, lens, etc.) but their "ability" in using software to portray what their "mind's eye" sees. I've seen graphic portrayals of images made in PS that is shockingly amazing - and nothing about these images ever exited a camera lens. Kirk, I know you have the ability and I am looking forward to viewing more of your work! Sorry for being so long winded. :76:

Yes - it looks better but my opinion is subjective. The bottom line is, it all depends on what you are trying to portray. As far as not having "painted" before, I would suggest watching some youtube videos on how it is done. It is a "tool" in PS that is very commonly used, more so than most people will admit. I use it a lot in Lightroom - matter of fact, I learned most of what I know about Lightroom by watching youtube tutorials, not only Lightroom but other software I use to edit/process photos. (and I am in no way an expert - I'm still learning) As good as you already are with your photography, learning "more" about other tools available to you will only improve what you are already good at. BTW - My opinion about what makes the difference between a professional photographer and an accomplished enthusist is not so much the equipment used (camera, lens, etc.) but their "ability" in using software to portray what their "mind's eye" sees. I've seen graphic portrayals of images made in PS that is shockingly amazing - and nothing about these images ever exited a camera lens. Kirk, I know you have the ability and I am looking forward to viewing more of your work! Sorry for being so long winded. :76:

P, no problem at all, I appreciate that you took the time to say as much as you did. I've been aware of the technique you mentioned but I don't seem to have the time to put that much effort into each picture. Maybe what I'll do instead is learn to do it but reserve it for only the very best of the best. Maybe I'll post less mediocre pics and use that time toward processing the best "one". I don't have LR but I do have PS Elements '18 and Topaz. I'll have to take a look and see if either have the tools available for what you described. Thanks again, you rock!

Kirk, I just came across an image shot by @rslt at his post "Willow and storm" under Nature and Wildlife (I don't know how to link to the thread). I'm sure it was a good image to begin with but rslt saw more in his mind's eye and what resulted with a little tweeking with software is nothing short of awesome. This is a good example of what I was talking about above - and I have to admit that my mind's eye is too screwed up to accomplish something this impressive. :icon_cyclops_ani:

Kirk, I just came across an image shot by @rslt at his post "Willow and storm" under Nature and Wildlife (I don't know how to link to the thread). I'm sure it was a good image to begin with but rslt saw more in his mind's eye and what resulted with a little tweeking with software is nothing short of awesome. This is a good example of what I was talking about above - and I have to admit that my mind's eye is too screwed up to accomplish something this impressive. :icon_cyclops_ani:

I just finished darkening the background in PS and making other adjustments in Topaz before I read this. A little better??? PS can be confusing but isolating the background with the brush wasn't hard to do. I've actually done the same thing to a moon in one pic to add it to another pic. The background is darker now and the colors are popping a bit more. It seemed that more contrast was needed also to help eliminate the washed out appearance. It's definitely more evenly toned with everything else now.
I did see that pic you mentioned earlier today (didn't comment on it yet) and you're right, it's pretty awesome. I do that to pics once in awhile and just let my imagination have free reign. I feel like I'm Boris air-brushing when I do it, I get a little wild with the colors but when you're imitating "fantasy art" it's what you have to do.

443 darkenbg2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back