I purchased this when I bought my camera, is this something I need? I haven't taken it off of my camera to protect the lens.
Does it affect photos in any negative way?
It can, by negatively effecting the sharpness of focus, contrast, and making images more susceptable to lens flare.
A wise man onces said, it's easier to replace a $30 filter than a $1000 lens.
While seeming to be a a true statement, in practice this logic is seriously flawed. Not to mention the negative effect(s) a $30 filter has on every image made with it on the lens.
Further, lenses can be repaired so a broken front lens element doesn't mean the entire lens has to be replaced, just the broken lens element.
Sunpack isn't the greatest name, but it's fine. Use a filter, save a lens.
Do you always use your lens hood? It seems a little obtrusive IMO. I always used an UV filter for protection/UV filtering on my film camera. Philosophy was it was cheaper to replace the filter than the lens. I now know that digital doesn't need it for UV, I am still wondering about the protection end of it though.
I have seen 'protection' filters damage the lens front glass when they broke or shattered.
Think about it! Something striking the filter hard enough to break it is likely to force the sharp shards back into the front lens element.
Usually, the the outer rim of the filter gets bent from the new angle the shards have taken.
Then, to get the now shattered filter off the lens, you have to unscrew it, scraping those sharp shards across the surface of the front lens element.
The front lens element in most lenses is much thicker, and stronger, than a thin UV/Clear filter. In many lens designs they are even backed by secondary lens elements making them even thicker and stronger.
Just use a hood.