Sunrise over Montenegro bay

travelguy92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first picture-sharing post. I went on a month-long Europe backpacking trip this last spring and this is a shot from some small village in Montenegro- I dont even remember which it was. Let me know what you think, how I could improve, etc.

Sunrise_MontenegroFORINTERNET (1 of 1).jpg

Funky sky. I like to composition and the overall color palette. Can't put my finger on it, but something feels a bit 'off' in the smaller version, but less so in the larger version. Oversharpening? Maybe someone with better knowledge of editing artifacts can chime in here.

Looks like a lovely place!

Agree with @limr. I'd say either oversharpening or too much contrast? While I do like the overall color palette, the image looks warm to me. If it were my image, I might bring it back just a touch.

Did you bring in a gradient to make the sky that color? The sky near the mountains looks whiteish/bluish.

Looks really great. well done :)
loved the composition.

Montenegro_take_two (1 of 1).jpg
Thanks for the comments. The sky was a gradiant. That was the one thing I didn't love but didn't really know what to do about it. Ive brought back in a more normal sky and reduced the sharpening a bit.

I just noticed I created a sort of halo around the tower, ill fix that too... I cant seem to get the sky right though. In the raw file its kind of blown out and gross, so it needs to change I just dont really know what to do with it.

I personally like this a lot better; the color palatte seems a little more.. palatable.. to me. ;)

That sky, though. Hmm. Maybe use a brush instead of a gradient? The gradient makes more problems, because the top left foreground is darker, the tower has to be brought back up, and the mountains (to the right) have been left as is, which creates a bright spot on the background.

If you keep the gradient, go into the gradient settings and make it a bit brighter/increase the shadows or highlights (not sure of your exact edits). Change the white balance/tint to get a color that looks a bit more appropriate?

Any chance of proving either a SOOC JPEG or even the raw file to play with?

The sky is too warm. Before and after:

Sky.png

Lovely composition. The suggestions/edits are making it even better, IMO.

Ok great thank you so much! Let me go rework it a little with those suggested edits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back