What's new

Sunset at Buttonwoods Farms--Sunflowers!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First real sunset shoot with the D800. Ended up HDR'ing this, as the Lee filters didn't work with the sunflower placed where I wanted it to be. Original is a 7shot HDR, then the sky is another separate 5shot HDR, then edited some more in LR5 and PS CS5. Not an awe-inspiring sunset, but it's a start.


All Buttoned Up by f_one_eight, on Flickr



Cheers!
Jake

P.S., Here's the instagram shot.

 
I hope to one day achieve this level of photography. :wink:
 
I agree! I LOVE it!
 
Thanks! It was some hella lot of editing. Definitely loving the new gear though! :mrgreen:
 
Cool shot man :thumbup:
 
That d7000 looks pretty good.
 
Very nice light. I just have to ask....12 shots?!? seems a bit overkill..... The dynamic range on that D800 is astounding, a 2 stop soft grad filter and you could nail it in one. Of course if its more fun for you to blend everything thats fine, I'm just curious as to why you went that direction.
 
Very nice light. I just have to ask....12 shots?!? seems a bit overkill..... The dynamic range on that D800 is astounding, a 2 stop soft grad filter and you could nail it in one. Of course if its more fun for you to blend everything thats fine, I'm just curious as to why you went that direction.

There was close to a 5 or 6 stop difference between the highlights in the sky and the shadows in the sunflowers. And with the sunflower being where I wanted it, the filters ended up darkening bits that I didn't want to. To be honest, yes it was overkill. I just wanted to see how robust a 7 shot HDR was, and I'm quite impressed. The only reason I used 2 separate HDR's is because the sky one was focused on the sky, and the flowers one was focused on the closest flower. Even at f16 or there-abouts, I couldn't have both in focus in one shot.

Jake
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom