Sunset over Lake Michigan, light house, C&C!

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went out tonite and got to the lake just in time to catch the sun setting. These are my first sunset photos ever, so C&C welcome. This is in Kenosha, WI on lake Michigan.
One thing I love about photography is that if you don't get the shot in that one second, you will never get that same shot again. It is amazing how fast the colors of a sunset change, or the setting of any photo can change, so I'm glad i got there when I did.
DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

DSC_0012-4.jpg

I thought the white balance was off here, so I messed around and ended up making it more Black and White, and I like the outcome, but what do you think?
#5 Before:
DSC_0022-2.jpg

#6 After:
DSC_0022-3.jpg

C&C per req:
1. Nice colour and composition, but a 1 stop graduated ND filter would have have reduced the over-exposure of the ground areas.
2. As for #1
3. I suspect you were the victim of an auto-focus malfunction on this one (but nice capture of the stick/pipe/pole)
4. Very nice colours in this one, and (I forget the name of the effect). Exposure as per #1 & 2
5. Too many elements fighting for attention. Selective focus to keep one area sharp and blur others would have helped, as would a different shooting position. Overall blue caste which detracts from the image somewhat.
6. I'd suggest lightening the image about 1/2 - 1 stop and increasing contrast a little.
Overall, nice sunset capture, but one common issue throughout is that your horizons are tilted. Always try and hold the camera level, and if you can't straighten up in post.
Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

I greatly appreciate the comments/criticism. In number 4, I didnt use any effect, unless you are referring to a natural effect of some sort? But thanks again for tips, and yes I know about the horizon, I just didn't take the time to fix it for the forum, maybe next time I'll go all out. Oh yea, in #3 I was actaully going for the shot that came out, I guess it didn't work for your, but I wanted the colors of the sky, with a large apperture so I could focus upclose on something (this something being a wooden hand rail). Thank you thank you thank you!

Photo 4 it is for me with the rays to be seen so well. If it were mine, I'd crop the water tower, though, I personally find it distracting rather than helpful.

hey thanks for response. I can see what you mean with the light house, but at the same time, it is kind of a famous lighthouse around here, but hey, I'll keep it like this, then I'll try to crop the light house out, so I can have one of each, and see how it looks. thanks

I did not mean for you to crop the LIGHTHOUSE! No :shock: not that!
Only the water tower on the far left!

These are beautiful photos,darkpbstar. I'm always so amazed when I see the sunsets here in Chicago.It's always so beautiful especially during the summer.

thanks alot for comments. I now see what you mean about water tower, no I will not take out light hosue! Thanks for your interest in #3, I didn't think anyone would like the style I wanted with it, cool though. THanks agIN!

1 & 4 are great. I think I know what you were going for with #3 but it needs to be ALLOT more blurry IMO. I would have picked a dandelion seed pod or something and placed it about 6 inches in front of the lens. What are you, about a meter or two back from that wooden brace poll thingy?

actually I was quite close to the railing, like a foot away, maybe two feet. thanks for comments on 1 and 4.

actually I was quite close to the railing, like a foot away, maybe two feet. thanks for comments on 1 and 4.

2ft. Hmmm, k, anyway, I guess more Z-Blur would make the effect.

NP on 1 and 4, they're great shots and deserve compliment!

i like numers 3 and 4 what was your set up

Bifurcator, I may have been further away, I honestly don't remember, and if it looks further to you, you are probably right. Thanks Im Trying, I was using my D40 with kit lense(only one I have at the time), with apperture at about 5, apperture priority mode. I'm really getting good responses with these pictures, mostly 1,3, and 4, which is good because I'm learning thanks to you guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back