Super bummed! Just dropped my D90 on concrete...

The good news is that it seems the body held up just fine it seems. Anyone who thinks the D90 can't hold up because of it's "plastic" body isn't talking from experience.

I can certainly see how this could happen, I do this quite often myself (set the back on the seat half or not zippered) and always think about what could happen - this goes as a warning to me.

Good luck on the fix!

The good news is that it seems the body held up just fine it seems. Anyone who thinks the D90 can't hold up because of it's "plastic" body isn't talking from experience.

I can certainly see how this could happen, I do this quite often myself (set the back on the seat half or not zippered) and always think about what could happen - this goes as a warning to me.

Good luck on the fix!

Plastic OR metal can survive a hit like that if you're lucky. Metal is simply more likely to suvive it.

Bummer! Hope you can get it fix in a reasonable cost. It seemed like the lens took the heat. The energy that was release from falling go right at the mount of the lens and broke it. Wondering what if the lens has a metal mount, where will the energy go? breaking other weaker parts in the lens or camera?

Anyway good luck.

don't be surprised if the warranty doesn't cover dropping. it would be wonderful if it did, but that hasn't been my experience.

Insurance isn't that expensive and i have a rider on my home owners policy

With my home owners policy my camera gear is included under personal property. So I don't need to take out anything additional. You might want to verify with your insurance agent.

And... holy crap did that lens take some damage in that fall. My dad's D80 and 18-55mm kit lens toppled over while mounted on a tripod down the side of a mountain in Hawaii a few years ago and just suffered a couple scratches. I'm surprised it would blow apart like that from such a short fall.

Bummer! Hope you can get it fix in a reasonable cost. It seemed like the lens took the heat. The energy that was release from falling go right at the mount of the lens and broke it. Wondering what if the lens has a metal mount, where will the energy go? breaking other weaker parts in the lens or camera?

Anyway good luck.

glass

don't be surprised if the warranty doesn't cover dropping. it would be wonderful if it did, but that hasn't been my experience.

Insurance isn't that expensive and i have a rider on my home owners policy

I'm hoping for the best. The ESP plan from Ritz says ut covers " unintentional abuse" so I have my fingers crossed.

I wll let everyone know how it works out.

Boy, that's a stretch. It looks to me like the camera landed lens first, hence the damage we see to the lens itself. Had it landed body first, chances are you he would have done some damage to the body.

The D90 is, after all, plastic. Nikon didn't invent a special plastic that has the strength of steel for the D90... if they had, why do they use magnesium bodies in their pro-sumer and pro bodies?

The OP got very lucky with his body.

Boy, that's a stretch. The D90 is, after all, plastic. Nikon didn't invent a special plastic that has the strength of steel for the D90... if they had, why do they use magnesium bodies in their pro-sumer and pro bodies?

Your unnecessary sarcasm aside (been enough of that lately), I do realize plastic can crack - however I also know there are different kinds of plastics, some are VERY durable.

The D90 happens to be a combination of aluminum alloy and plastic, for what it's worth.

I've honestly never heard of a body cracking. I'm sure there are some out there but I've never seen it. No matter what brand.

I managed to make it to Ritz on my lunch break. I had a chance to test the body with another lens and the body seems fine.

They took the lens for repair without asking a question. The only snag is the 3 to 8 week repair time. I'm going on vacation in a week so I'm going to have to pick up a new lens.

Looking at the 50mm- 1.4, 70-300, or the 18-200 which is a little too close to the kit lens that is being repaired.

Descisions....

Boy, that's a stretch. The D90 is, after all, plastic. Nikon didn't invent a special plastic that has the strength of steel for the D90... if they had, why do they use magnesium bodies in their pro-sumer and pro bodies?

Your unnecessary sarcasm aside (been enough of that lately), I do realize plastic can crack - however I also know there are different kinds of plastics, some are VERY durable.

The D90 happens to be a combination of aluminum alloy and plastic, for what it's worth.
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just factual.

As it turns out, I'm bored sitting on a flight to Cali so I have time to screw around on Google. I couldn't find much info on dropped D90's breaking. In almost every instance I found, the lens is what broke and the body survived.

It would appear it's very durable.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just factual.

As it turns out, I'm bored sitting on a flight to Cali so I have time to screw around on Google. I couldn't find much info on dropped D90's breaking. In almost every instance I found, the lens is what broke and the body survived.

It would appear it's very durable.

How is it any different than a Canon plastic body? They probably get the body molded from the same place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back