Super bummed! Just dropped my D90 on concrete...

that is good news, warrenties are great.

my insurance pays for repairs which is nice these days with the cost involved . years ago my d100 fell out of the car and my heart went crazy, the only damage lens hood which was an easy replacement.

I managed to make it to Ritz on my lunch break. I had a chance to test the body with another lens and the body seems fine.

They took the lens for repair without asking a question. The only snag is the 3 to 8 week repair time. I'm going on vacation in a week so I'm going to have to pick up a new lens.

Looking at the 50mm- 1.4, 70-300, or the 18-200 which is a little too close to the kit lens that is being repaired.

Descisions....

Did they say it was covered? Awesome if it is.

Given your current situation I'd say the 18-200 would probably be your best bet.

The good news is that it seems the body held up just fine it seems. Anyone who thinks the D90 can't hold up because of it's "plastic" body isn't talking from experience.
One anecdote of dumb luck does not support your statement, and I do speak from experience. It's still an all plastic camera (except the lens mounting ring) and is more vulnerable than a camera with a metal body.

I was without the use of one of my D90's for 6 long weeks. It cost me 6X the repair bill in lost revenue from that segment of my business. I understood the D90 was all plastic when I bought them and have no animosity towards Nikon. **** happens. My shooter wasn't paying attention and a soccer ball knocked over the monopod mounted rig.

When the lens was ripped off it yanked the mount screws, and the plastic screw threads, right out of the camera's bayonet. The camera's lens mount ring was still attached to the lens. Oops.

When the lens hit the grass (oh I forgot to mention, it was a grass soccer field the rig landed on. A 4 foot drop.) it also took out the LCD. The lens was fine.

The repair bill was $253.50, including $12.50 shipping:

Service Repair Rank C (That's as major a repair as it gets)
CKD Auto Focus Operation
CKD Flash Operation
Performed Image Test
CLN Sensor
RPR Impact Damage
RPL LCD Display
RPl Front Body
General Check & Clean

The good news is that it seems the body held up just fine it seems. Anyone who thinks the D90 can't hold up because of it's "plastic" body isn't talking from experience.
One anecdote of dumb luck does not support your statement, and I do speak from experience. It's still an all plastic camera (except the lens mounting ring) and is more vulnerable than a camera with a metal body.

Please show me where I ever said it was ever as good as a metal body? I'm just saying it's not the POS build some people would make you believe.

Given your current situation I'd say the 18-200 would probably be your best bet.

They did say that it was covered. The warranty/extended service plan covers almost everything except fire and theft.

I have heard great things about the 18-200 lens. I think I want to get something a little different from the lens that is being repaired. I like the thought of the 16-85 also.

The Nikon 35-70 f/2.8D is a great lens as well. Nice fast walk around glass with an excellent build, but I think you can only get one used. My next purchase will most likely be the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 because it will work on my D90, D60 and N75.

They did say that it was covered. The warranty/extended service plan covers almost everything except fire and theft.

I have heard great things about the 18-200 lens. I think I want to get something a little different from the lens that is being repaired. I like the thought of the 16-85 also.

That's pretty sweet.

Another good choice from what I hear. The 16-85mm is one of the few Nikkor lenses I haven't used but it seems like a great walk around lens for dx.

That is so awesome that your insurance covers the repair. I actually dropped a RENTED lens a few months ago and I think I vomited a little. My zipper on my bag wasn't zipped all the way and it hit the cement. The sound was so sickening. The worst part was that I hadn't even USED the lens yet and I didn't fork over the extra $10 or whatever it was for the insurance (cheapo). Anyway, I put it on my camera and it still worked, but I was terrified (ok, still am) that I will hear from that rental company someday about it (although I got an email from them a couple of days after the return that said the lens was returned in good working condition...whew!!) How bad would it suck to have to pay for a rented lens?

I had my camera sitting just on the seat in my truck once and it moved while I while I was driving. When I went to open the passenger to get something else out the camera fell out and by sheer fluke I caught it mid air. Just about had a heart attack though.

Please show me where I ever said it was ever as good as a metal body? I'm just saying it's not the POS build some people would make you believe.
Do you care to point us to the post where anyone says the D90 is a "POS build"?

I would like to see that.

With my home owners policy my camera gear is included under personal property. So I don't need to take out anything additional. You might want to verify with your insurance agent.

And... holy crap did that lens take some damage in that fall. My dad's D80 and 18-55mm kit lens toppled over while mounted on a tripod down the side of a mountain in Hawaii a few years ago and just suffered a couple scratches. I'm surprised it would blow apart like that from such a short fall.

A camera is usually covered as personal property on all homeowner's policies, if not used for business purposes. There is a limit and it is not replacement insurance which would be the case with a separate rider, but any claim should get you some compensation.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back