Super long exposures with D610

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a 10-stop ND filer, and I want to shoot some exposures that go over a minute. What I've initially concluded:

1) go to 'bulb' mode and manually hold the shutter open as long as you need; OR
2) buy a programmable remote shutter release.

Any way to force the CAMERA to automatically calculate the time needed and go over the preset 30 seconds?

NO, because in a day and age when there are self-driving cars, we still hold on to the legacy "bulb" mode.

You should be freaking happy they don't actually require you to squeeze an actual freaking bulb--where the term comes from.

not being able to set a desired shutter time pisses me off beyond belief. The laurels that these camera makers rest on is just ridiculous. It's probably 2-3 lines of freaking code, but they had to remove it to make room for a new "color sketch" processing mode.

ummm ... yeah, what he said ^^^

If you use a corded remote release there is usually a lock (slide) on it. Then you can watch your watch/cell phone timer. Or get a remote with the timers and stuff on it.

There's also the "Time" mode where you press the shutter and it opens. then when you press it a second time it closes.

NO, because in a day and age when there are self-driving cars, we still hold on to the legacy "bulb" mode.

You should be freaking happy they don't actually require you to squeeze an actual freaking bulb--where the term comes from.

not being able to set a desired shutter time pisses me off beyond belief. The laurels that these camera makers rest on is just ridiculous. It's probably 2-3 lines of freaking code, but they had to remove it to make room for a new "color sketch" processing mode.
Ha ha! Yeah, I got a 19.00 programmable shutter release off Amazon, but thought it was odd that it appeared necessary.

I use bulb mode a lot. And I can take shots from 30 seconds up to around 30 minutes. I should get one of those programmable ones but just time it myself.

And don't forget to cover your viewfinder so light doesn't sneak it's way onto the sensor. The d600 came with a viewfinder cap (you slide off the eyepiece and slide the cap on).

D7x00 also have this cap. I think the d5x00 and d3x00 do not come with the cap ... you have to buy it.

The d4, d5, d7x0, d8x0, d5x0, d3x0 have a switch which close the viewfinder.

Back in the day I used a 'cable release' when I wanted to use bulb mode.
The cable release had a thumbscrew on it so I could lock it in place with the shutter open.
I didn't have to stand there holding it.

The viewfinder cap is a Nikon DK-5.

Most reactions

Back