Super Moon

jtee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.machtwomedia.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Next time that the Moon is this bright and large will be 2029. This moon is 14% Larger and 30% Brighter .

f01e6fe6.jpg

"14% larger"?

I call shenanigans on this. The moon's orbit is ellipitcal, varying between 363,104 and 405,696 km. That's 11.7% at best, and only a paltry 5.8% from it's semi-major axis (average distance).

"30% brighter"?

How? It's still 150,000 km from it's source of illumination.... the sun. Earth does not illuminate a full moon. It can't because it's facing the night side of the planet. If anything, it's brighter during the phase we call New Moon, because it's closer to the sun then.

I hate raining on your parade, but them's the facts.

But but we can't really put both of them side by side for comparison!

"14% larger"?

I call shenanigans on this. The moon's orbit is ellipitcal, varying between 363,104 and 405,696 km. That's 11.7% at best, and only a paltry 5.8% from it's semi-major axis (average distance).

"30% brighter"?

How? It's still 150,000 km from it's source of illumination.... the sun. Earth does not illuminate a full moon. It can't because it's facing the night side of the planet. If anything, it's brighter during the phase we call New Moon, because it's closer to the sun then.

LMAO not raining on my parade ....I am just repeating what our local weather lady said .I will leave the tecky stuff alone and let the geek squad do their thing.

LMAO not raining on my parade ....I am just repeating what our local weather lady said .I will leave the tecky stuff alone and let the geek squad do their thing.

Seems your weather lady doesn't consider herself a professional and doesn't bother checking the facts like the news reporters do. My guess is she simply parroted some email that spreads like wildfire during these types of events. I'm sure there's also some nut-case cults that will consider tonight the apocalypse.

"14% larger"?

"30% brighter"?

Actually, it is 0% larger and 0% brighter. The mass of the moon is not changing, it is not like it is colliding with an asteroid 30% the size of the moon and it also does not produce any light so it is never bright to begin with.

It may appear 14% larger and 30% brighter though. Those numbers were given out by NOAA so I am gonna stick with their calculations on this one. ;-)

Actually, it is 0% larger and 0% brighter. The mass of the moon is not changing, it is not like it is colliding with an asteroid 30% the size of the moon and it also does not produce any light so it is never bright to begin with.

It may appear 14% larger and 30% brighter though. Those numbers were given out by NOAA so I am gonna stick with their calculations on this one.

The mass of the moon has nothing to do with it. I'm sure the 'larger' reference is to the angular size of the moon as it appears to an earth-bound observer, and the 'brighter' simply means that since it looks larger, then one can assume it's brighter. But it's not.

To prove this, go out and take a photo of your car on a sunny cloudless day as close as you can and still get the entire vehicle in the frame. Use your widest angle lens. Now note the exposure (ISO, shutter speed, & aperture) needed to produce a nice pix.

Now walk across the street and take another photo. Is your car any 'darker'? Do you need to bump up the ISO, open the aperture, or slow down the shutter? No. Is your car any smaller? No, you can still fit into it... it's not one of those toy cars the Shriners drive the parades all of a sudden.

Walk down the block as far as you can and take another photo. Do you need to adjust any of those settings simply because you're 100 feet away? No. Can you sell it on ebay as a Matchbox? Hardly.

If I was one the moon with a tele lens with enough power to pick your car up where it sits, MY exposure of your car would be exactly the same as yours when you're 10 feet from it.

Fact is, when the astronauts were walking around on the surface of the moon, they used the same EV we would shooting it from here. If getting closer to the moon somehow makes it brighter, then all the astronauts who made the trip there (26 by my count) would have been rendered blind.

I never said that size and brightness were related. I was kidding in that post anyways. No need to get combative.

I never said that size and brightness were related. I was kidding in that post anyways. No need to get combative.

Not being combative.. just trying to pass along the truth. I don't want everyone to rush out tonight thinking the moon's gonna somehow be magical and take up half the sky.

No, actually he/she/it looks like normal.

195939_10150124410087700_573372699_6312469_237868_n.jpg

I'll have to wait and see in how far it may affect my sleep tonight - on the way it does every time when the moon is full!!??

It was a beautiful moon, but not markedly different. It was bright orange just as it was rising, that was interesting.

moon003a.jpg

Not being combative.. just trying to pass along the truth. I don't want everyone to rush out tonight thinking the moon's gonna somehow be magical and take up half the sky.

Classic case of all the book sense... and no common.

Next time that the Moon is this bright and large will be 2029. This moon is 14% Larger and 30% Brighter .

Will it be the same, or nearly the same tonight?

Most reactions

Back