Susan Burnstine

remains of pin hole and holga work

She beats that fuzzy, dreamy look to within an inch of its life. I looked at about 50 of the images or more, some from each of the portfolios on the site. The overuse of that heavy blurring and diffusing technique wore very thin after about 15 images. Her work is visually stultifying. The pictures seem to be utter slaves to the technique, with the same, exact visual style applied to everything from an ostrich to a puppy dog to a baby to the Empire State building. We have an expression here in the USA, "one trick pony". I cannot imagine processing 100 images or more in the same, exact treatment, and not finding the results to be monotonous. I went through the first two portfolios entirely, then got sick of the same old thing, and just sampled images from the remaining galleries, but there wasn't much "payoff", since every image looked and felt just like every other one. Like eating nothing but ice cream all day, every day; at first it's great, but then one craves some meat, or some potatos, or some vegetables, or fish, or pasta...but it's alllllllll one thing, over and over.

Last edited:
These photos look desolation and dark. Those type of photos like hanging on each wall and every room of Addam Family's house. I like Olivia Bee, full of colors​ and energy. Just makes me feel young.

She beats that fuzzy, dreamy look to within an inch of its life. I looked at about 50 of the images or more, some from each of the portfolios on the site. The overuse of that heavy blurring and diffusing technique wore very thin after about 15 images. Her work is visually stultifying. The pictures seem to be utter slaves to the technique, with the same, exact visual style applied to everything from an ostrich to a puppy dog to a baby to the Empire State building. We have an expression here in the USA, "one trick pony". I cannot imagine processing 100 images or more in the same, exact treatment, and not finding the results to be monotonous. I went through the first two portfolios entirely, then got sick of the same old thing, and just sampled images from the remaining galleries, but there wasn't much "payoff", since every image looked and felt just like every other one. Like eating nothing but ice cream all day, every day; at first it's great, but then one craves some meat, or some potatos, or some vegetables, or fish, or pasta...but it's alllllllll one thing, over and over.

^this

Yes, I agree with Derrel, it is an overuse of singular, extremely specific technique. But then, on the other hand in each portfolio is something interesting. Maybe viewing of this should not be taken all in one shot. Everyone's photography starts to be "too much" if one will go through 100 images in 10 minutes. (Or faster :D)
But then again, if you would have this: (listing of exhibitions)
Susan Burnstine Photography
you will start to believe in yourself and feed the public with more.
I like some of the photographs, some which shows intent and conceptual work.

Rubbish

Rubbish
Sorry thought you meant Alexy Titerenko

Most reactions

New Topics

Back