Swimming Canada World Trials (or: My first go at shooting swimming; Am I all wet?)

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Through a generous invitation from Imagemaker46, I was lucky enough to spend some time over the last couple of days shooting the Canadian trials for the upcoming world swimming championship. This is the first time I've ever shot swimming, or any sort of sporting event of this level and it was a great experience! I learned a lot (mostly, how much I didn't know about shooting sports!) and had a great time. Any comments/critique appreciated (especially what does and does not make a good swimming shot).

Swim%20(1).jpg

Swim%20(3).jpg

Swim%20(4).jpg

Swim%20(5).jpg

Swim%20(6).jpg

Swim%20(7).jpg

Swim%20(9).jpg

Swim%20(10).jpg

Swim%20(11).jpg

Swim%20(13).jpg

Swim%20(14).jpg

im no sports photog....but #2, #3, and #6 are gold! I like #10 as well.
#7 is a great shot from an emotional standpoint. im kinda on the fence with #11 with it somewhere between "really good" and "great", sorry i cant pin it down more.

Imagemaker46 can probably give much better C&C than i can. im just a portrait guy.

Last edited:
im no sports photog....but #2, #3, and #6 and gold! I like #10 as well.
#7 is a great shot from an emotional standpoint. im kinda on the fence with #11 with it somewhere between "really good" and "great", sorry i cant pin it down more.

Imagemaker46 can probably give much better C&C than i can. im just a portrait guy.
:er: Thanks!

Looking good, John! I pretty much agree with the Medic... def some good shots!

John, I think you did a pretty job on your first swimming event. The only thing I would say is that you could tighten up the crops on some of the shots, the content is there. It was good meeting you and next time swimming is back in town you're more than welcome to shoot it again. You walked in blind to something new and did a pretty good job. There is so much going on all over the place that at times it looks like there is a picture everywhere, but there really isn't, almost visual overload. I don't know if that's how you saw it. You were also dealing with constant light changes in this pool with the glass roof and burned out lights. It just adds to the whole experience.

Last edited:
Great variety of images

John, I think you did a pretty job on your first swimming event. The only thing I would say is that you could tighten up the crops on some of the shots, the content is there. It was good meeting you and next time swimming is back in town you're more than welcome to shoot it again. You walked in blind to something new and did a pretty good job. There is so much going on all over the place that at times it looks like there is a picture everywhere, but there really isn't, almost visual overload. I don't know if that's how you saw it. You were also dealing with constant light changes in this pool with the glass roof and burned out lights. It just adds to the whole experience.
Thanks! Much appreciated; it was definitely a great experience, and I will take you up on that offer!

I thought #9, the shot of all the competitors diving in, was pretty cool, and a good example of a long-view shot being quite interesting.

In #2, the swimmer looks almost like a dragonfly...I love the reflection.

Without ever having shot something like this myself, I'm trying to envision how one would go about it...and it seems like it would be pretty tough...so kudos to you for doing such a good job on your first time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back