Switched pre-order from 5d mk III to D800

poker_jake

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Never purchased something this expensive for a hobby, this looks like one beast of a camera. What lenses would you recommend? I'm picking up the 24-120mm f4 and 80-400mm f4.5-5.6. I was thinking of a 50 prime and/or a wide angle.

What features of the d800 led you to change your mind? Those lenses will not be ideal for that camera, you will need the best lenses you can buy to get the resolution that camera provides.

+1 The D800 is going to be a whole new beast, and will require REALLY GOOD technique, and excellent glass! May not be the best camera to "Start" a hobby with. It may be frustrating to someone with no experience...

I would highly recommend something like the D7000 as a starter, and get top end lenses!

I'm making the jump from a canon 60D, really want full frame for landscapes and the occasional airshow and airpanes that fly into work hence the 80-400mm.

Oddly, Nikon itself has issued a list of good-performing lenses,in the eight-page D800 primer available on-line, and the 24-120 is on that list. As to lenses...there are dozens and dozens of Nikkor lenses that will perform well on that sensor. What one intends to photograph determines the most-useful lenses. A 50mm lens would be nice; the new 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G has the most-sophisticated optical formula of all the Nikkor 50mm's, so that's the 50 I would suggest. The new 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G also has REALLY HIGH resolution abilities--truly exceptional on the D3x, as tested by Photozone. I was floored to see the resolution capabilities of the new 85mm 1.8 AF-S G...just astounded. Those two lenses would allow you to shoot a LOT of subjects, in all types of lighting, and not have to carry much weight. I find the 50 and 85mm primes two of the best for all-around usage on FF bodies. Next, I like a 24mm f/2.8 lens for general wide-angle work--it;'s not all "that" wide, but then again, it does not make images where everything beyond 10 feet looks like you need a microscope to see it...

ehh, I'm not scared ;) From my understanding the high resolution will not make glass look bad...that is, that cheaper glass will perform better on the D800 than any other camera, it's just that to take full advantage of every pixle you'll really want to put on some TOP glass ;) If you are spending $3K for a great body you should consider dropping another $6K on glass for starters.

Note: read Derrel's post again, good info right there :)

Thanks Derrel and all, what telephoto zoom would you recommend for shooting airplanes? I like the idea on the d800 of the crop sensor modes, I can put it in dx mode and get 5 fps. So I'm torn between the 70-300 or 80-400.

200-400mm and a monopod - or a 300mm f2.8 for aircraft (and a monopod!)

But seriously what budget are you thinking of for the glass - there are loads of options and when you're in the world of long reach and quality the prices get very very big very fast.

Budget is about 7500 for body and lenses.

If you're just starting, why not just get the D700. It is still an excellent body and will save you a grand or more. You can put the left over toward better glass and other accessories that you might require such as lighting, tripod, etc. Plus, you won't have to deal with the massive file sizes in post.

If you're just starting, why not just get the D700. It is still an excellent body and will save you a grand or more. You can put the left over toward better glass and other accessories that you might require such as lighting, tripod, etc. Plus, you won't have to deal with the massive file sizes in post.

I'm not just starting photography, just switching to ff and nikon.

I'm not just starting photography, just switching to ff and nikon.

Ok well the D700 is a great STARTER for FF and is Nikon. 2 Months ago, this would pretty much be the only body for you and now all of a sudden it is antiquated. :lol:

The 80-400 VR is "okay" at longer ranges and on slower-moving subjects. It is an unusual lens--you definitely ought to read Thom Hogan's review of that lens on his web site to get a better feel for the lens. The new 70-300 AF-S VR-G f/4.5~5.6 zoom is surprisingly compact and sharp. I bought a copy of it...pretty darned amazing...best 70-300 yet by Nikon...these newest Nikkor lenses are amazingly good...the pro-sumer level lenses are now as good--or better, than the "pro" lenses of just 10 years ago.

You say "airplanes" or "aircraft"--if you mean at air shows, you do not need as much focal length as you might think. You are right--the D800 is a 16.2 megapixel camera in its high-speed crop mode. I honestly think you'd prefer the 70-300 AF-S G VR lens over the 80-400 VR for airshows, AND for everyday carry and use.

I'm making the jump from a canon 60D, really want full frame for landscapes and the occasional airshow and airpanes that fly into work hence the 80-400mm.

Ok.. whole different story! I read it as you were just starting out! lol! The 80-400 is one of those "do it all" lenses.. with a huge zoom range.

Lenses like that tend to be not as sharp and contrasty (at either end of the range) as lenses with less of a range (too much moving around inside to get that huge range!) The 200-400 Nikon is a better lens, or you might consider a good prime in that focal length (300 or 400mm) but they are expensive! It all depends on what you need, and what your expectations are. I use a 28-300 (huge range) as a walk-around / hiking lens... just for the convenience, and am sometimes amazed at the images it produces when I do my part. But it does not focus as fast, or as accurately as my better lenses.. and I DO have to try harder with that lens to get "good" shots! :) You may find that the 80-400 won't focus as quickly (a lot more searching) as you want, for fast moving objects like planes!

Most reactions

Back