Switching from canon to nikon

Bayouvixens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Been shooting photos for a few years now and been shooting with canon 30d.. It's time for a upgrade and I want to go to nikon... My business I do alot of shoots inside and then during the seasons we go outside.. So I'm looking at the nikon d5100 or the nikon d3100.. I've read everyone reviews on these two cams and mre then half pick d3100 over d5100 just wanted to get some of your ideas if anyone has one of these two cams.. Jay want to make sure I get the right nikon for my business..

Thanks in advance

EatingPopcorn.gif

Personally, I wouldn't pick either of your options.

What gear do you currently have for Canon? What type of gear will you be purchasing along with the camera body? What kind of 'business' are you doing? What is your overall budget? What are the images used for?(large prints, small prints, online viewing, posting to facebook?) What type of quality are you looking for? What type of conditions indoors are you shooting in? Do you have or plan to buy flash equipment? Are the items indoors moving or stationary?

As you can see, there is too much information missing from your post for anybody to provide any kind of meaningful recommendation.

And i'm not sure how going from a Canon 30D to a nikon D3100 would be an upgrade, per se. Isn't that more of a lateral movement? I mean, i realize you are going to the higher power, NIKON, but other than that..

I would at least choose the D7000 if your actually looking to "upgrade" and even that is a stretch.

The D3100 and 5100, as I understand it from a Canon user's point of view, are more in line with the rebel series (550d etc) then the prosumer series that your 30D falls into. Not really an upgrade, more like changing for the sake of it to a newer and better featured camera in a lower class and build quality. You gain some and lose some, and for the expense it doesn't make sense to me...

Personally, I wouldn't pick either of your options.

What gear do you currently have for Canon? What type of gear will you be purchasing along with the camera body? What kind of 'business' are you doing? What is your overall budget? What are the images used for?(large prints, small prints, online viewing, posting to facebook?) What type of quality are you looking for? What type of conditions indoors are you shooting in? Do you have or plan to buy flash equipment? Are the items indoors moving or stationary?

As you can see, there is too much information missing from your post for anybody to provide any kind of meaningful recommendation.

K..

I have had good friends who shoot for college football games who have gone from canon to nikon.. As of now I have 8 various lenses for indoor, outdoor, wide angle, etc etc.. I have indoor lights, tripods bi pods, meters, etc etc not my first rodeo boys..

I'm not saying anything wrong with canon I just have heard Friends say they liked nikon better... I wouldn't mind staying with canon but all the reviews of new canon's vs nikon well canon got there ass handed to them...

I do woman portraits indoors and outdoors... I also own three hair & make up studios, along with one of the largest spas here in BR.. The pics I take are for woman who want to give a gift to their husband so most of my photos are small print booklets and some I put online for them..

I'm looking to upgrade my camera to something new in the 700-1000 range.. if I stay with canon then don't need lenses, if I go with nikon then
I will buy all nikon lenses.. Because
I have the money and I like my equipment matching..

So now I'm just looking for info guys on a upgrade from what I have now.. I started this business with a canon rebel Ti so I know what I do I don't need a big pro 2000 camera... I simply would like to hear some upgrade ideas from what I have now..

I deal with a bunch of woman all day come home to two kids and a lawyer
Husband which means I have a bounded headache everyday so can I get just a little help without attitude. Please...

Thank you guys in advance

You are right about not needing expensive pro bodies to take great photos. Equally, you do not necessarily need to swap to Nikon to achieve great photos either.

Usually when people switch it is more to do with the photographer than the kit. I shoot Canon and I am content with that, though I see beautiful kit from Nikon, Sigma, Pentax etc all the time. The only reason I use Canon is because the first digital SLR I picked up was a 20D, which I loved. If I had picked up a Nikon, then no doubt I would be shooting Nikon today. Why not pop over to a photography store and try out a few bodies in your hands? If you like the feel of the Nikon bodies, then maybe you are making the right choice. I would not, under any circumstances change my kit to improve my photography. Changing kit rarely does that. Working harder on improving your skills, technical, composition etc will do wonders and be way more satisfying for you. It may also be worth spending more time on photo editing skills. You can achieve a lot, especially for beauty shots, in software.

For me, the lenses make the biggest difference. Canon IMO wins here just because they have a much larger selection of lenses. I just wish I could afford more of them:)

I think you should really just get a 60D or 50D....

It sounds like the only basis for your wanting to switch is friend's reviews? How do they know how the camera feels in your hands? Canon and Nikon will get you equal quality photos, it's a question of which you like the feel of. For you, it's also a question of all your lenses. Unless there's something specific about Nikon that matters to you, that you can't achieve with Canon, it seems like a distraction and a waste of money to switch. If you can't stand Canon ergonomics, and using your 30D has annoyed you, and Nikon felt better when you picked it up, then I'd consider the switch. I would not under any circumstances get a 3100 or 5100, even if you were already well into Nikon, as others have mentioned, that's not really an upgrade from the 30D.

If you're really on the edge, pushing the limits of the best Canon has to offer, and it's still not getting the job done, you might see a difference in quality going to the best Nikon has to offer instead. In the middle of the range, from either company, the camera counts for 1%, the glass counts for 2%, and the other 97% is how much time and effort you spend developing your craft. If you just want something new with higher resolution and better features, grab a 60D.

Bayouvixens said:
Awesome answers from you two.. Thanks so much very helpful info...

Get the D7000 bro...you won't regret it! It's AF is simply amazing! IQ is stunning! Dooo eeet!

D3100 is kind of a joke of a camera. I love Nikon (and shoot it) and always like to see a convert, but if you can get a better camera by sticking with Canon and not having to re-invest in lenses, then I say buy a better Canon. IMO you should really never buy less than the D7000. Anything less is limiting and ridiculously toyish.

(and now everyone that has less than a D7000 will come after me... don't bother...) :lol:

Most reactions

Back