Switching from canon to nikon

Personally, I wouldn't pick either of your options.

What gear do you currently have for Canon? What type of gear will you be purchasing along with the camera body? What kind of 'business' are you doing? What is your overall budget? What are the images used for?(large prints, small prints, online viewing, posting to facebook?) What type of quality are you looking for? What type of conditions indoors are you shooting in? Do you have or plan to buy flash equipment? Are the items indoors moving or stationary?

As you can see, there is too much information missing from your post for anybody to provide any kind of meaningful recommendation.

K..

I have had good friends who shoot for college football games who have gone from canon to nikon.. As of now I have 8 various lenses for indoor, outdoor, wide angle, etc etc.. I have indoor lights, tripods bi pods, meters, etc etc not my first rodeo boys..

I'm not saying anything wrong with canon I just have heard Friends say they liked nikon better... I wouldn't mind staying with canon but all the reviews of new canon's vs nikon well canon got there ass handed to them...

I do woman portraits indoors and outdoors... I also own three hair & make up studios, along with one of the largest spas here in BR.. The pics I take are for woman who want to give a gift to their husband so most of my photos are small print booklets and some I put online for them..

I'm looking to upgrade my camera to something new in the 700-1000 range.. if I stay with canon then don't need lenses, if I go with nikon then
I will buy all nikon lenses.. Because
I have the money and I like my equipment matching..

So now I'm just looking for info guys on a upgrade from what I have now.. I started this business with a canon rebel Ti so I know what I do I don't need a big pro 2000 camera... I simply would like to hear some upgrade ideas from what I have now..

I deal with a bunch of woman all day come home to two kids and a lawyer
Husband which means I have a bounded headache everyday so can I get just a little help without attitude. Please...

Thank you guys in advance

I didn't give you attitude. I gave you advice as to what needed to be presented so that we could give a more informed opinion.

As far as Canon vs Nikon, there is virtually no difference in image quality and you shouldn't expect anything vastly different in the budget range you are condsidering.

If you already have 8 lenses, flash gear, etc, it sounds like you have a substantial investment in Canon already. I would be hesitant to switch if I were you. The $700-1000 range that you mention...is that lenses and camera body or is that just camera body? Knowing what Canon lenses you have already would help us to know what you might be able to sell them for and let you know what kind of Nikon system you could get for your budget.

For what it's worth, when somebody asks me what camera manufacturer they should go with, my usual answers are(in order of importance):
1) what feels better in your hands?
2) do you have gear already?
3) what do your friends shoot with?

#1 is pretty obvious...you should shoot with what you are comfortable with.
#2 is pretty obvious...if you have a lot tied up in a particular manufacturer, sometimes it doesn't make economic sense to switch.
#3 is not so obvious, but it's important. Friends can offer technical support when you have issues. They can loan you gear to try out so you can see what you like before you buy it. They can loan you gear for an important shoot if you had something fail. There are a lot of benefits to shooting with the same gear as your friends.

If all of your friends are shooting Nikon, and you have relatively low quality Canon gear, and you can sell that gear, and the Nikon feels good in your hands, well, that would seem to be a no-brainer...Welcome to the dark side.

I've used Canon DSLR's a bit and generally can't stand them. Nothing seems to be in the right place for me. For me, the ergonomics are the biggest factor and I will stick with Nikon, even though one of my mentors and a lot of my friends shoot Canon.

What I meant by the post that you took offense to was that it is a personal decision. The specs, economics, and image quality don't support switching, especially if you are going for an entry level DSLR. Some pros will switch back and forth depending on who is on top at the time, but then again, they are also buying the top of the line gear. It doesn't sound like you are in that position, so perhaps the benefit of being able to borrow gear from your friends may win out.

Just don't expect a night and day difference between the two. It just simply isn't there. If it was, one of them would already be out of business instead of them being two of the top photo companies in the world.

Most reactions

Back