Switching from crop-senson (600D) to 5D Mark II, need lens help.

maybeshewill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be selling my 600D and moving to a 5D Mark II.. thus I'll need to be changing some lenses. I'm heading over to the USA and Canada in Summer for a few month to visit all the awesome national parks, and I need to have my camera bag sorted by then. My passion is landscape photography, but I'm moving my portrait work into a business, and thus need to balance my spendings between the two.

I figured out here in Australia the used market prices of my current lenses totals about $1000. If I were to sell these, I would be willing to spend about $2200 on new lenses.

Currently my lenses consist of a Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 28-75mm, Canon 50mm 1.8 and Canon 55-250 (can't really afford a nice large zoom lens, nor fit one in my travel bag).

Now, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with this change in camera. Obviously the Sigma will need to go, thus I'll need a new lens for landscape photography on the 5D Mark II. I do enjoy with width I get on the Sigma, so I'm wondering what lenses I should be looking at for the Mark II for my landscape work?

My next question is what I should be be looking for to use for taking portraits (families/couples/kids) and for boudoir shoots?

A bonus would be getting something with some reach, as I would like to be able to get some nice animal shots (hopefully bears!) without having to get too close, but I've had trouble with this as my camera bag is an over the shoulder Domke and couldn't really fit on in there.. not to mention the weight. I will be carrying this bag around the national parks. That being said, this would be the area I don't want to spend the majority of my money, the main focus would be on a wide-angle landscape lens and portrait lens.

I am quite new to the higher end price range market, and have little knowledge on lenses $500 up, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

First of all I'm pretty sure that the 10-20mm Sigma and the 55-250mm Canon are both EF-s lenses so will not fit the 5DMk2.

The Tamron 28-75mm and the Canon 50mm f1.8 will be fine.

Your best bet is to get a Canon 17-40L f4 for your wide stuff, this is one of the cheapest L lenses (circa 700 aus $ new) and probably best bang for your buck. Also not too far off what you are used to with your 10-20mm Sigma.

I would also get a Canon 70-200L f4 IS (circa 1100 aus $)

With your remaining 400 Aus $ I would either get a Canon 85mm f1.8 (circa 400 Aus $) or if you thought you might need a bit more reach a Canon 1.4x Mk2 Extender (circa 400 Aus $) personally I would buy the Canon 85mm f1.8 as that would be more like the Angle of View on the 5DMk2 that your 50mm f1.8 gave you on your 600D and much more useful if you are tending to go into portrait work.

If I had any money left I would look for a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x Converter (almost as good as the Canon 1.4x Mk2) which is circa 170 Aus $.

Good luck and enjoy your new system, it will be streets ahead of your old one.

Also consider purchasing the 24-105 L (the mark ii "kit" lens) with the body. It's quite good and useful, and you will get it at a couple-hundred-dollar discount.

I agree with Ed's advice. The 17-40mm F4 L is a great lens for wide angle landscapes on a full frame. Plus, it's not too expensive for a high quality lens.
I also like the suggestion for the 85mm F1.8. A good portrait lens for a good price.

For a telephoto, ideally I'd recommend something like the 100-400mm L IS. It's a big, big lens (not great for travel) but it's great for wildlife shots. Or possibly a 70-200mm F2.8 and a teleconverter. Big and expensive though.

For your trip, I might recommend a cheaper zoom, something in the 70-300mm range. Canon, Sigma & Tamron all have very cheap options in this range, but there are some better ones as well. I've read some good reviews about the Tamron 70-300mm VC and the price is a good deal less than the Canon 70-300mm IS or the new Canon 70-300mm L IS.

The 70-300mm range, typically aren't great lenses compared to the 70-200mm lenses, but they are much smaller, which may be a good option for you, since you're talking about international travel etc.

Thanks for the advice guys.. definitely taking it all on board!

In relation to crop vs non-crop sensor, what is equivalent to 10mm on my 600D on a full-frame body? I.E. Is the 17-40mm just as wide at 17mm on a full-frame than as 10mm is on a crop sensor?

EDIT: Also with the 70-200mm, is there a whole bunch of different versions? IE. IS/USM, just IS, etc etc. I see a great variation in prices. I know there's a 2.8 version which is far more expensive, but just wondering more about the f4.

Last edited:
Ed Bray's advice is amazingly good!!!!!!!! Could hardly BE any better!

So I'm pretty much set on the 17-40mm L and 85mm 1.8.
What I'm still tossing up between is whether to get the 24-105/24-70/70-200 f4.

This is mainly used for everyday use, as well as it would be an important part of my portrait work when the 85mm focal length will not work. What are your takes on these 3 and which would be best for my needs?

You have been very helpful so far, thank you :)

Most reactions

Back