Switching to Canon AND upgrading.

EJBPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
July will be a very fun month for me with switching from Nikon to Canon (for reasons I've explained on here before so don't ask! :p) and upgrading to a 5D. It's supposed to be a lot of camera so I'm sure there will be a learning curve, but I can't wait.

Anyway, lens question. As I'm pretty much selling my soul for the 5D, I don't have money for an expensive lens immediately. Eventually I'd like to get the 24-70 L but for now I need something less than 400. I'm thinking about a tamron but it just seems stupid to put a tamron on a 5D. Does anyone know how that would perform? I could get another 50mm but I'm beginning to resent how much my current 50mm struggles to lock focus.

Anyway, suggestions would be great! Thanks so much.

Ps. In case anyone suggests it, I've considered getting a 30D and getting an L series, but I know I'd want to upgrade within a year and am just gonna go straight for the 5D and pray they don't announce it's successor this fall.

Well as far as the sucessor goes as anyone knows if you try and do this with electronics all you will do is wait. When it comes to lens choices personally, I would buy the better lens first before investing in the great body. I am not too familiar with Canon bodies but it seems like you can drop down in price on the body to save a few bucks and get a 2.8 lens wich is the best long term investment. Now, when you have the money later for that 1DS mkIII or whatever the high body is for Canon at that time then use whatever body you have as a backup. I say this along the same lines of my first statement the way technology moves in electronics if you do buy the 5D and tomorrow a new one comes out you may feel like you need it while excellent glass is pretty much timeless unless of course Canon changes their mount.

Wow, congrats. That is a bit of an upgrade.

The 5D has a pretty steep learning curve, but it isnt too bad because of how much fun you will have just using the camera.

The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 would be fine on a 5D and still a little wide. There is nothing wrong with putting one of them on that camera. You could also consider a canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS. I have one with my 20d and although its not really wide on that, it is still a really good walk around lens.

Id still suggest getting the 50mm f1.8 though. Just for those situations where you really do need fast glass. Besides, for like US$75, you cant really go wrong.

The 5D's learning curve is next to nothing if you've used a 10, 20 , or 30D before. Even though I shoot Nikon, The first time I picked up a 5D, I could use it pretty well in about 10-15 minutes. Pickup a 1Ds MkII, and it's a whole different story. I did an asignment with one once, and today I refuse to use those things becuase they are so counter-intuitive, they get in the way of me making photographs and i'm not going to spend more than 20 minutes to figure out how to use everything on a camera. If it takes that long, it's not worth my time.

I second the congrats on moving up to the 5D. i haven't used one, but I know several guys who have them and they all insist that it is the best camera ever made. The full frame sensor is a nice feature if you like shooting wide (I personally don't and hence use the MKII), but you will love the 5D. (This may sound stupid, but if you've never actually used a canon and find yourself trying to figure out how to change the aperture, its the thumbwheel. It took me a little while to figure that out).

As for the lens, I would say go ahead and get something cheap (probably a 50mm) and start saving for a 24-70 f2.8L, it's a wonderful lens.

You guys have given me some awesome advice- thank you very much :) I don't shoot with variable aperture lenses... I have one right now and it is brutal... so never again :p I shoot wide open way too much- my usual apertures are between 1.8 and 2.8 as I am shooting portraits mostly.

So I think yes I will go ahead and get the 50mm although I hear it is rather wide on the 5D. Perhaps I will get that and then in a few weeks once I have more money get the tamron although I tend to like to stick with the same kind of lenses as the body.

Good to hear I should be able to figure out the 5D. Yes the aperture dial is so strange- I saw it at the store. I *would* have been searching forever.

Lastly, thanks for the congratulations. I'm very thrilled!

I use the 50mm f/1.4 on my 5D a lot. It is not too wide, but you can always crop.

I am also in the process of switching to Canon for various reasons. I am doing a little saving now, and I'll will definitely pick up an adapter so I can still use some of my Nikon glass. This isn't in the immediate future, though.

As for the 5D replacement, I'd be willing to bet that Canon will announce one this fall at photokina. I just have no idea what they would call it.
5Ds? 7D? 5D MkII?

Really Forza? I have a feeling they won't announce one... just because the camera is so perfect as is and it's only been 2 years.... which I realize is usually the right time... but I just have a feeling! :p Or maybe thats just wishful thinking.

I wouldn't worry that much about having the 5D's predecessor come out anytime soon. The important thing is that the 5D is a camera you're happy with and if they have something else, you will still be happy with it. I ended up going with the MKII over the MKIII even though it was an older model because of price and don't regret it at all.

As far as the length of a 50mm on the 5D, if you shoot a lot of portraits, it may indeed be a little wide and you could consider the 85mm instead.

i would buy better glass before getting a better body. glass holds value, and bodies don't. i know lots of pros who don't care too much which body they use . . . but don't you dare expect them to use a sub par lens.

oh, and what nikon equipment are you switching from?

i would buy better glass before getting a better body. glass holds value, and bodies don't. i know lots of pros who don't care too much which body they use . . . but don't you dare expect them to use a sub par lens.
Thats pretty much what I said but I don't think that is what this guy wants to hear so it was ignored.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back