Switching to Digital?

boarderjosh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been using Nikon 35mm equipment for over 20 years and am now going to make the switch to digital. My question is that if I have been using high end nikons with high end nikor lenses will I notice an improvement switching to digital SLRs. I have been looking at the Nikon D70s and the D200. Which one should I buy and will I be kicking myself in 2 months for buying the D70s instead of the D200?

-thank you

The main reason I can see for going digital is workflow. From what I've seen, film still beats or at least equals digital for most quantified measurments (low light ability, resolving power, dynamic range, etc.). What is your reason for switching and what do you hope to get out of it?

Mark asked the correct questions. I absolutely love digital over film and there are many advantages. If you are expecting an improvement in picture quality compared to film, however, you will be disappointed.

If you just meant how much improvement in one digital camera over another, Steve's Digicams very likely has sample pics from both. You might want to see what you are willing to settle for in terms of quality. If you save some sample pics from each camera to a folder on your computer you can print them as well for further comparison.

Just remember that Steve's pics are "as is' from the camera and judicious editing can improve them quite a bit including sharpening them some. This is extremely easy with digital.

Maybe you are going through the mid life photography crisis. (I have)
Why do we read so often someone making an either/or decision? Is money so tight that people simply can not own 2 cameras? If money for equipment is the issue then the choice is crystal clear to me, stay with film. If quality - it can be a toss up depending on your interpretation. If usability and durability - I say stay with your film. If unsure then explore.
My point and my advice is to get the digital camera that you best estimate is for you. All the while knowing your 35mm is just an arms reach away. You may find that the digital is all you want. You may also find (like me) that digital has a lot of issues that you do not want to contend with, like it just quit working. And you may choose to refuse replacing the film camera all together.
Then you can use the 35mm when needed and the digital when appropriate. I have 4 35mm's and 4 or 5 digitals (1 is spy camera so I don't know if it counts) I do not see any need to go Either/Or.

I think it really depeds on what you want to do with it. What is it that would make you consider the D200? Do you need that many megapixels? The D70s suits many photographers just fine. For me the main reason that I can see for going to digital is the savings on film and not having to develop pictures to find out that you don't like them.

if you can i would recomend the d200, ahve you looked at outher options, anouther option is getting a d70 and using the money you saved to get better lenses wich will make fr better pics
i love digital because i shoot a lot of terible shots and all i do is hit a button and they are gone, also i know what my pics look like

Without question get the D200.

Most reactions

Back