Switching to mirrorless.. Nikon or Sony?

I used the Sony NEX 5 6 and 7 and still have a 3n. I did can not get used by the handeling en menu structure of the Sony. Also had the opportunity to try the 7r. but also dit not like the handeling. Also the service of Sony is in the Netherlands not so good. I had some bad experience with them. Sony has also not that much good native glass. When wanting good class you have to look had the zeis.

Also did test the Canon M. But this feels like a toy and not in balance with the lenses. Canon as missed the boat so far.

Also use a Fujifilm X Pro1 and X T1 and like these camera the most. After using the X T1 for a few months I decided to sell the Canon set. (5D3 24-70 II 70-200 II etc) Fujifilm has a very nice lineup of high quality glass. Like the 56mm is a very good fast prime

M4/3 also have some excellent cameras if you can live with a smaller sensor. Also a great range of lenses for the m4/3 system as well.

This is the route I took. I picked up a bargain Olympus E-PL1 on sale to try out the system and compare with the Canon APS-C bodies and EF lenses (incl 2 "L" series) I was using at the time. At 72 I was looking to quit playing "packmule" with heavy glass and the m4/3 fit the bill perfectly. I sold off the Canon stuff and went mostly Panasonic with the GH2 and began acquiring lenses. Went with the GH3 when it came out, and now getting used to the new GH4. By making the change I lost NOTHING in the way of sharpness or IQ.

Sensor size diff between APS-C and 4/3s is negligible but whatta difference in the weight of gear I wind up packing on any given project. Primary focus is motion picture but being a retired professional photographer I want decent stills that go up to 16x20 and larger without a problem. The selection of "native" optics for m4/3 is about the most extensive in the mirrorless arena and most of it is excellent.

My 2 cents worth and probably worth what you just paid for it.

Last edited:
Is the m4/3 sensor large enough to allow for DoF control needed for portraiture? How wide does one need to shoot with m4/3 to have a shallow enough depth of field?

Portraiture was one of the main things I did until retirement and I still do enough to keep my "hand in". I have no problem with DOF control for portraiture with m4/3. I use f5.6 to f1.8 on a 14-45mm "kit" lens at the 45mm end, f5.6-f1.8 on the Oly 45mm and 75mm primes, and the entire zoom range of the Lumix 45 to 200mm f4 - f5.6 lens (and same with the Oly 40-150mm). Aperture is only one aspect of DOF control; perspective, proper management of camera to subject distance and subject to background elements distance, and lens focal length all factor in.

Many have fun describing how "bad" kit lenses can be but I've seen some nice selective focus work (somewhat "shallow" DOF) done with the much maligned 18-55mm Canon "kit" lens and same with the Olympus and Lumix 14-42mm "kit" lens. Depends on the experience level, knowledge, and visual sense of the individual behind the camera.

I've done portraiture with 4x5 view camera, 70mm long roll electric advance cameras, 6x7cm RB67's, 6x6cm Hasselblads, 35mm SLR (Nikon & Canon), APS-C, and now m4/3. I can generally get what I want, film or sensor size has not been a constraint.

I have had the Nikon J4 with 18mp sensor same one as in the Nikon V3 i think, i previously has the S1 with an 10mp sensor, I found the J4 photo`s very noisy unlike the S1 photo`s 18mp is too much for an 1" sensor.

I also has the Sony 3N and it`s a great camera with a full aps-c sensor but i still prefered the Nikon S1 photo`s

John.

I am a pretty avid Nikon fan, but for mirror less Sony is winning the game currently. I would have a look at the a7r

Will IQ drop if I attach an adaptor to take other lenses with different mount?

What do you think ? expensive Voigtlander close focus adapter and Voigtlander 50mmF1.5 asph M mount on A7

DSC01070%20copy-XL.jpg

Same lens wide open @ F1.5 and close focus wide open

DSC01096-XL.jpg

Will IQ drop if I attach an adaptor to take other lenses with different mount?

That's going to depend on the individual lens characteristics. Older lenses with less contrast and a tendency to flare will perform with less apparent IQ than modern lenses. Some like the "softer" look and go after older "legacy" lenses. One thing to look out for is attempting to adapt Canon EF lenses to bodies that cannot electronically control the aperture. Micro Four Thirds bodies especially.

Those adapters that are advertised to offer either electronic aperture control or an aperture of their own are often very expensive or may not work as well as advertised.

IMO the best overall solution is one of the Micro Four Thirds bodies and the fairly extensive selection of "native" Olympus m.Zuiko and Panasonic Lumix lenses that fit them. If still photos are what you're after the Olympus E-M5, E-M10, or E-M1 may fit the bill. If you are looking at motion picture (video) the Panasonic Lumix GH4 is king "hands down" and also does a very creditable job on stills as well. The GH3 is a very good buy at lower cost but the EVF in that model can be problematic. The GH4 solved that issue.

I have an Oly E-M5, Panasonic Lumix GX7, GH3, and GH4. I have a couple of Nikon F mount lenses but much prefer the "native" Micro Four Thirds offerings by Oly and Panasonic for their very much superior IQ.

Sensor size diff between APS-C and 4/3s is negligible but whatta difference in the weight of gear I wind up packing on any given project.

4/3 sensor is 178 sq. mm
APS-C sensor is 329 sq. mm

So the difference is 151 sq. mm. That means APS-C sensor is 84% larger. Not exactly "negligible". :)

Last edited:
Just bought an Samsung NX30 for £800 , but Samsung has an old camera trade-in and you get £200 cash back at the moment in the UK, I have an nice 6 year old Canon A590 for them.

John.

Niether

Last edited:
X or NEX, also. I wouldn't even consider Nikon. I think it's a pretty dead platform for one, and second smaller than APS-C has advantages, it's not going to mean anything unless you're either into experimenting with strange lenses or need very long telephoto lengths.

I recently got an XE1, and have been extremely impressed by the Fuji sensor shared with the rest of the X-pro cameras.

Most reactions

Back