Switching to mirrorless.. Nikon or Sony?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by f18, Apr 4, 2014.

1. nzmacro

nzmacro TPF Supporters Supporting Member

All Sony has done is drop the name NEX for marketing reasons. The shape and design of the A6000 is exactly the same based design as the old NEX series. I use at the moment a NEX-7 and will happily go to the range finder shape that Sony has kept from the NEX and add an A6000 to the NEX-7.

At the end of the day, what's in a name. Same shape, same design, etc. Heck Sony changes a name and the world is ending :) :)

The A7 and A7r seem to be amazing cameras for IQ. Its the lenses that are not there yet unless you add an adaptor to take the Sony SLR or SLT lenses, then you have fast PDAF, but without any stabilisation. By all accounts they seem to be not built for fast action, where as the A6000 seems to be. A few decent reviews need to be seen first though. It offers several advantages that the NEX-6 and NEX-7 miss out on. So that's all a bit of a bonus.

If Sony has the lens range that suits what you take, its a good system, but you need to make sure the lenses you want are in that system. For a lot, its lacking, for others its fine. For me I couldn't care less because I only use Canon legacy lenses on the NEX anyway, but it is a big deal for others.

M4/3 also have some excellent cameras if you can live with a smaller sensor. Also a great range of lenses for the m4/3 system as well.

Look at that date on that article you linked to Yasrex ....... Wednesday, October 2 2013. The A6000 is out and about now. Specualtaion is a worry on the net ;)

All the best and just my views.

Danny.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know axxxx = NEX -- not a good specific example but the overall assessment of Sony as unstable stands. Changing the system name after 4 years for what reason? They make some great cameras. I've personally bought 5 Sony cameras in the last decade. Still there's a reason the Pros don't use them and it's not because the cameras are no good. The systems are full of holes; they can't design a consistent camera and stick with it; and the Pros are in business and it's bad for business if one of your partners keeps going off their meds.

Joe

3. nzmacro

Sony have already stated why ;) NEX was becoming the name of the camera system and not Sony Alpha. They have always been been named Alpha, but NEX was taking over the Sony brand name with that series of cameras which has always been Alpha. Simple easy marketing strategies, but who are we to argue marketing when we know little about the Sony corporation.

Your bad news for changing the name is short term only, eventually once the NEX name is dead and gone, it all becomes normal ;) That won't take long at all as new NEX based designs come about, next year it won't even matter. Rumours and bloggers that get involved with corporate decisions must feel foolish as Sony produces cameras that they said Sony gave up on. It is kind of humorous IMO.

That is an old post on that site and already proved wrong with the design issue. I am a NEX-7 user, so he is wrong there for a start, I couldn't care lees what Sony calls it, the camera I use still works and its also very old news now in this fast moving industry. But to each their own.

All the best.

Danny.

4. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 2
  5. nzmacro

Where did you read that Ron ??

I used m4/3 for two years. Not a problem but it does have a smaller sensor and the crop factor is interesting for sure.

Danny.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    What about Olympus as a good choice in m4/3 mirrorless? I think the Olympus OMD series is pretty nice if a guy wants a mini-dslr-type styled mirrorless; Sony has smaller bodies available, but the lenses are bigg-ish. Fuji went with the slightly bigger APS-C sensor size instead of m4/3, and unlike SONY, seems to actually be listening to real buyers, instead of wandering off on 18-month tangents and dropping everything on a whim and confusing the hell out of the people who bought earlier Sony gear.

Seems to me that Fuji with their APS-C sized sensors and their X-system offerings is a good choice in mirrorless, and then in m4/3, Olympus and Panasonic seem pretty well-positioned and with nice products and lenses that can interchange between brands. All three of those companies actually seem to SHOW that they WANT your business and your loyalty. SONY OTOH, just seems to me to want your credit card digits and the expiry date and the three-digit code and then they're like, "Oh, hey, thanks, now eff you, buddy!" after that...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ron Evers

Photos OK to edit
    For one example, in your post above. "M4/3 also have some excellent cameras if you can live with a smaller sensor. Also a great range of lenses for the m4/3 system as well. "

I bought into the system @ day one, with the Pany G1.

Check out the link I provided.

8. nzmacro

You must be reading it wrong Ron, I didn't say .....

You said that. It has a smaller sensor and if you can live with that, its a fine system. Same as the Nikon series 1 system. It has a smaller sensor and if you can live with that its fine. You seem to be reading in things that were not said for some reason. Some of my best shots are with m4/3 cameras. Weddings don't interest me Ron, I crop a lot, so I get to pixel peep most of the images. I used m4/3 for two years Ron as I said. There is no issue with it ;)

Are you telling me it doesn't have a smaller sensor Ron ?? The crop factor is interesting for what I take. I actually like it :)

All the best Ron, don't try and quote things I never said please.

Danny.

9. ecphoto

ecphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon hands down!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

10. Ron Evers

Photos OK to edit
    My point was the often criticism of the m4/3 small sensor, which you mentioned, in my exact quote of yours. My link, I thought, would dispel fears of m4/3 "small sensors" for folk not yet knowledgeable of the system.

11. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I agreed the NEX name change wasn't a good example. Doesn't mean Sony's not nuts though. Quick Google search:

"The Alpha 900 represents in a nutshell the almost schizophrenic nature of Sony's digital camera division...." Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Review: Digital Photography Review
    "Sony's top management team suffered from managerial schizophrenia." Sony vs Samsung: The Inside Story of the Electronics Giants' Battle For ... - Sea-Jin Chang - Google Books
    "....since Sony has been totally schizophrenic in its camera naming scheme and nomenclature lately)." Time to post | itsnotthecamera
    "Which Sony? They are so schizophrenic they frequently sue themselves." iPhone Infringes On Sony, Nokia Patents, Says Federal Jury - Slashdot
    "Sony Music is Schizophrenic enough all on it's own." Can Sony's new supremo make the sacrifices to save his biz? ? The Register Forums
    "But plans changed or Sony is just down right schizophrenic." Sony 13.3-Inch Digital Paper Ships Out in May for $1,100 / ?803
    "Because Sony is schizophrenic and will develop an entirely new system before coming out with any lenses beyond the f/4 zoom, orphaning all 4 of their existing systems before any are fully developed." A look under my Christmas Tree! Nikon Df, Leica M, Sony A7r and the Olympus E-M1! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
    "A Cure For Sony’s Schizophrenia?" FurdLog » A Cure For Sony?s Schizophrenia?
    "Sony is schizophrenic." Sony reveals Move Server for PC | GamesIndustry International
    "Sony, in traditional schizophrenic style, went on to produce several generations with varied specs...." The Jig is Up!: A Sony PlayStation 3 Review - Years Late
    "....versus Sony's schizophrenic platform support...." One Billion Sold: Why Microsoft XBox Live Has the Best Online Strategy - CBS News
    "Do you remember Sony's schizophrenic marketing a few years ago...." Microsoft: Xbox isn't a gaming console - Console Gaming - General Discussion Forums at MMORPG.com

I know some of those are old links, but that's because we've known for a long time (incurable after all). Like I said, I wasn't the first to notice. Even DPReview called them schizophrenic in the review of the A900.

I agree they make some excellent cameras, but you can't trust the company; the Pros know this and stay away.

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  12. nzmacro

Ron, I never complained about the m4/3 sensor. In simple terms, its a small sensor. In fact the Nikon 1 sensor appeals for the smaller sensor and crop factor. I had a V2 bird shooter send me a full RAW image of a Kingfisher, this one here from the DPR forum ....

Re: N1 V2 with AF-S 500 f4 VR & TC20E III - FoV 2700mm: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Even as a RAW its stunning in sharp details !!. As the guy said though, watch out if you need to crop an image a fair bit.

Here's some I follow using m4/3 and you probably already know the names, but then again, maybe not. These appeal for what I take. Bob, Trev and Cole

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

https://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter/Birds2013Part2

BTW, the EM1 appeals.

All the best Ron, but don't read the wrong things into my comments. ;)

Danny.