Switching to Nikon! What is a good full-frame and lens?

Shoal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got the Canon 5D MarkII and am not very happy with it. I have decided to sell all my Canon and go Nikon. A big decision! Now I don't know a darn thing about Nikon. What is a good full-frame to get that is excellent in low light with high ISO's? Also I would like a nice sharp lens with a fixed aperture (2.8 preferably). I would like to start out with only one lens so would want some wide angle and some zoom. Something in the range of 28-75 or even more. I would like to spend $2000 but if needed will go higher.

Also why are the Nikon lenses so cheap? Do they have L series lenses? What else do I need to know with this transition?

Okay, well. You're going to get a Nikon D700 for around 1700-2000USD depending on the seller. Likely closer to 2,000. You'll need an FX lens to make the most out it... If you want a pro level constant aperture zoom in the range you suggested, you'll need this one: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor Zoom lens - 24 mm - 70 mm - F/2.8 - Nikon F

That's the cheapest FX Nikon that money can buy.

L-Series lenses are specific to Canon. All manufacturers have a designation for their "pro" glass.

Why are you not happy with the 5D2?

You won't get much for $2000. For a used D700 and 24-70mm you are looking at minimum $3200 used. New would be over 4k. Not so cheap eh lol

Okay, well. You're going to get a Nikon D700 for around 1700-2000USD depending on the seller. Likely closer to 2,000. You'll need an FX lens to make the most out it... If you want a pro level constant aperture zoom in the range you suggested, you'll need this one: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor Zoom lens - 24 mm - 70 mm - F/2.8 - Nikon F

Thanks! Sounds like the best for the money, even if I have to go a little over:)

Thanks! Sounds like the best for the money, even if I have to go a little over:)

What do you not like about the 5D2?

I don't want to start a Nikon/Canon war on here, lol. But basically said I am more than frustarted with the focusing. In a nutshell.

I don't want to start a Nikon/Canon war on here, lol. But basically said I am more than frustarted with the focusing. In a nutshell.

Oh I see. I've never had any issues with my 5D2, but I only use the center focus point. I understand where you're coming from. The AF system is lacking. That being said, Biles raised a good point with the release of the 5D3. That should have a significantly improved focus system.

Complaints about the 5D2 focus are pretty common. I'm pretty sure it's the same system that's in my 60D. (alright at $800, pretty lame at $3k)

The rumors (whatever they're worth), suggest the 5D3 will have the same focusing system as the 1Dx... (w00t!)

Complaints about the 5D2 focus are pretty common. I'm pretty sure it's the same system that's in my 60D. (alright at $800, pretty lame at $3k)

The rumors (whatever they're worth), suggest the 5D3 will have the same focusing system as the 1Dx... (w00t!)

It's not the same AF system as in your 60D. The 5D2 AF system is most similar to the 50D. The 60D has a system more similar to the 7D... Minus 10 of the AF points.

I doubt that the 5D3 will have the AF system of the 1Dx. Like, REALLY doubt it. I suspect it to be on par with the 7D, or slightly better. The 5D series is not a "sports" camera, or even made for action. There's no reason to have a beastly AF system (as nice as it would be) in a camera geared more towards portraiture and studio work.

It's not the same AF system as in your 60D. The 5D2 AF system is most similar to the 50D. The 60D has a system more similar to the 7D... Minus 10 of the AF points.

I doubt that the 5D3 will have the AF system of the 1Dx. Like, REALLY doubt it. I suspect it to be on par with the 7D, or slightly better. The 5D series is not a "sports" camera, or even made for action. There's no reason to have a beastly AF system (as nice as it would be) in a camera geared more towards portraiture and studio work.

Man, hate talking about rumors like this... but there are also rumors that Canon will be releasing another body eventually (3D possibly), at 40 mpixel, targeted at the studio market and competing with the D800. The 5D3 supposedly being more of a "well rounded" entry level full frame.

Should be interesting either way. And I'm sure the focusing will be way better than 5D2 whatever it is...

Well, if you want pro-AF, no wonder you don't like the 5D2. But, rumor has it that the 5Dx will have pro-level AF. So, the suggestion to wait for that should be well received.

But, if you currently have the 5D2, and lenses, I don't see why the budget is $2k. You should get more than that selling the 5D2 and just about any FX lens you may have.

If you still want to come to Nikon, the D700 is going to be the cheapest route as far as FX is concerned. It'll run you around $1700 (if you're lucky) and $2200 (if you buy from ebay). It's a fantastic camera, and better than the 5D2 as far as ISO goes. The only things better are the D3s, arguably the best at ISO from either company, and the D4 (not yet released to consumers). The D3s will run you double the cost of the D700, and rightfully so. The D3, which has the same sensor as the D700, but tons more features, will run you about $500 more than the D700. Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the D3 over the D700. Though, I'd expect a price drop of the D700 in the coming days.

As for lenses, the 24-70 mentioned is probably your best bet in the range, but you can also find the really good 28-70/2.8 AFs for around $900 if memory serves me correctly. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Mark

Btw, I don't shoot canon, but Nikon put the D4 AF in the D800. So, I'm assuming Canon will do the same with the 5Dx to remain competitive.

Mark

I'd also wait until Canon's rumored 5D 3 reveal on the 28th.

It will still be almost another year before anybody can get it in hand. Canon is terrible about things like that. Look at when the Canon 200-400 w/Built-in teleconverter was announced (2/17/2011)... and we are JUST NOW seeing spy shots of photographers testing it out. It was like 9 months after B&H had the new 400mm f/2.8 II as a 'coming soon' item before ANYBODY had it to even rent.

Well if we consider recent history, I'd say rumours are worth a hell of a lot. The rumour was that the D800 was going to have a 36 megapixel sensor, and there were doubters (and rightfully so) right up until the last day. Nevertheless, the rumour proved accurate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back