Sync help

Mr.Kikkoman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased the Calumet Genesis 200 light for my first strobe light. I wasn't really sure how to get everything working but I found out I can use a hotshoe adapter with my Rebel's to trigger the light. So, I went to a photography store and the sales person recommended me this Sony Minolta hotshoe: http://www.alzodigital.com/images/equipment/sony_minolta_hot_shoe_pc_adapt_200w.jpg
I brought it home, hooked it up to my Rebel XT and light and started taking some pics. Everything seemed to work fine for the first 2-3 pictures but then I got this huge black gradient on my pics. I freaked out b/c I read about how the surge can mess up the image sensor, however, the sales person said I didn't need to purchase the Wein product b/c it only protects against 6v+ and the light is only 5v so I was confused... I unhooked everything and took some photos and I started getting a black bar on the top and bottom of the pictures. This was not normal. I talked to Canon and they said the image sensor may be messed up. Great! Luckily, I still had the warranty on it so I sent it in for repair.

Some phone calls happened. Then, I took my light and the adapter to the store and hooked it up to their Rebel XSi and took pictures. Everything worked fine?! I have no idea what happened with my camera. I have a Rebel XSi too, with a full warranty, but I'm afraid to try it b/c I need a camera for this weekend. I can't get in touch with Calumet Tech support and I really need some help. What do you all think?

Thanks for reading. I know it's long!

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you shooting at a faster shutter speed than the camera's max sync speed? Because that's exactly what it sounds like. I think on Rebels, the max sync speed is 1/200 seconds. Anything faster than that would give you the black bars because the entire sensor wouldn't be "on" for the duration of the flash.

Try shooting with it again at 1/200 and slower.

Welcome to the forum.

That would also be my initial assessment. Make sure you are shooting at or below the max sync speed. by the way: You should be shooting in manual mode when using studio strobes.

Thanks Guys.

I believe the black gradient I was getting in the pictures was from the shutter speed being too fast. However, I noticed after the 3rd picture or so the black bars on the top and bottom. They were still there even when I wasn't plugged in to the adapter/light and taking pics.

I actually brought my light and adapter to a camera store and hooked it up to their Rebel XSi and everything worked fine. However, they weren't really familiar with the light or the problem I was having. Do you think it's safe to use the adapter on my Rebel XSi? The light is 5v. The Wein Safe-sync surge protector only protects against 6v+.

This is my first time doing this by the way.

I think the camera is rated for 250v...so you should be fine. Either way, I don't think that would cause any visible problems in the image...it the trigger voltage was too high, it would just fry the flash triggering system.

If you are getting viable bars in the images, it's almost certainly the shutter showing up because the speed is too fast for the flash to sync.

The rated max sync speed is 1/200 I think. Although, there can sometimes be delays with some gear, so you may have to use something slower like 1/160 or 1/125 etc.

How many actuations on the shutter? It could just have been a big coincidence that it decided to go right then.

I'm not sure how to find out shutter actuations on my Rebel XT. I tried googling how but ppl say it's only accurate/possible on the 1D.

Also, I hooked up my light to my XSi and everything works great! Thanks a lot for everyone's help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back