Why do you prefer a 12 mp sensor over the 18 ?
More megapixels typically mean that you can crop tighter, make bigger prints. However, the more you pack pixels on a sensor, the smaller these pixels are. The smaller these pixels are, the less they can receive light and therefore have a crappier signal to noise ratio...ie the worse they perform at high ISO in low light.
This is why a full frame body, which has a bigger sensor, is handling low light and high ISO much better and gives a cleaner, less noise image at higher ISO
Why would I prefer 12mp over 18mp on the 7d? 12mp is more than enough for what I do and to make big prints. The way I shoot is that I try and get things in camera nice and how I want, which limits the cropping and other processing I do.