T1i and the T2i

RambleOn92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just curious to hear the thoughts/opinions on the Canon T1i and the Canon T2i. I am really liking that the T2i is 18 megapixels but I am wondering which would be a better buy over all?

besides the Megapixel, T2i also has a better video. Everything else is the same I think. 15.1 MP to 18 MP is not really a huge jump. Pretty much the T2i is about 9% wider in terms of megapixels.

Don't be misled by the megapixel counts. For the size of sensor in these cameras (APS-C), once you go beyond 12 megapixels or so, the benefit of adding more pixels seems to be negated by the increased noise introduced by each pixel not getting enough light (especially in low light situations).

T2i is better than the T1i because it's newer, not because it has more megapixels.

As for the better buy, I agree with supraman -- D90 :D

What's up with these lame Nikoners trying to steal Canon pledges? Booooo! Canon is cooler! Plus we have hot Canon users too ^^^^^^^^^erose^^^^^^^^^^^

Canon and Nikon have pretty much the same dSLR market share at about 38% each.

That means the remaining 24% is split up among:
  • Olympus
  • Sony
  • Pentax
  • Fuji
  • and the rest
As emh alluded to, by cramming more pixel onto a sensor, pixel size gets smaller, and noise increases because the signal-to-noise ratio gets worse because smaller pixels cannot capture as much signal as larger pixels.

Consider then that Canon doesn't care about that, because they know people think "more is better", and push the MP count to market their cameras, not make better images.

D90 has no autofocus in movie mode, that's my only complaint.

Not trying to start a holy war :hug::! there isn't much difference between the 2 t2i and D90 so just remember to keep your options open. Unless of course you have canon lenses then there is no point in switching.

::comes back with broom'a'swingin'::

SHOO! SHOO! OFF WITH YOU!

:lmao:

:sexywink:

:lol:

There seems to be a witch hunt going on here... except the folks with the brooms are doing the hunting :greenpbl: ;)

D90 has no autofocus in movie mode, that's my only complaint.

Not trying to start a holy war :hug::! there isn't much difference between the 2 t2i and D90 so just remember to keep your options open. Unless of course you have canon lenses then there is no point in switching.

For someone who cares about video, T2i is the obvious choice. But for stills, the D90 has a better set of controls and a few extra goodies like built-in wireless flash support and in-camera chromatic aberration correction.

I'm tempted to throw out some cfusionpm-bait and bringup the superior DxOmark scores of the D90. :lol:

Oh, why the heck not... here goes: comparison of D90, T2i (550D) and T1i (500D)

I have a 7D with the 18 megapixels and that was actually a negative point when deciding between the 7D and other cameras. I would so much prefer a 12 mp sensor on the 7D... I have no clue why Canon chose to go the high mp count. Good on Nikon for going the high ISO route.

I have a 7D with the 18 megapixels and that was actually a negative point when deciding between the 7D and other cameras. I would so much prefer a 12 mp sensor on the 7D... I have no clue why Canon chose to go the high mp count. Good on Nikon for going the high ISO route.

Why do you prefer a 12 mp sensor over the 18 ?

More megapixels typically mean that you can crop tighter, make bigger prints. However, the more you pack pixels on a sensor, the smaller these pixels are. The smaller these pixels are, the less they can receive light and therefore have a crappier signal to noise ratio...ie the worse they perform at high ISO in low light.

This is why a full frame body, which has a bigger sensor, is handling low light and high ISO much better and gives a cleaner, less noise image at higher ISO

Why would I prefer 12mp over 18mp on the 7d? 12mp is more than enough for what I do and to make big prints. The way I shoot is that I try and get things in camera nice and how I want, which limits the cropping and other processing I do.

More megapixels typically mean that you can crop tighter, make bigger prints. However, the more you pack pixels on a sensor, the smaller these pixels are. The smaller these pixels are, the less they can receive light and therefore have a crappier signal to noise ratio...ie the worse they perform at high ISO in low light.

This is why a full frame body, which has a bigger sensor, is handling low light and high ISO much better and gives a cleaner, less noise image at higher ISO

Why would I prefer 12mp over 18mp on the 7d? 12mp is more than enough for what I do and to make big prints. The way I shoot is that I try and get things in camera nice and how I want, which limits the cropping and other processing I do.

But by that logic the D3x would have worse low light performance than the D700. Is that true? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm really wondering.

But by that logic the D3x would have worse low light performance than the D700. Is that true? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm really wondering.

That is indeed true. Even if you just look at the camera specs, the D700 goes up to ISO 12,500 in Hi-2 and the D3x stops at 6400 in Hi-2.

DxO mark bears this out: D3x vs D3s vs D700 (see the "Sports" scores).

Having said that, a couple of caveats:

1. If you take the size of a pixel in a 12-megapixel crop sensor and plop down pixels of that size on an FX sensor, that works out to about 28 megapixels. So at 25mp the D3x sensor is still less dense than a crop sensor at 12mp! So the sensor on the D3x is still in great shape there.

2. Money may not buy you happiness but it can buy a lot of other things. The D3x sells for nearly 3x (interesting coincidence) the price of the D700. That gives Nikon plenty of money to put in all sorts of fancy enhancements to sensor performance. Still can't get all the way up to a D700 in low light but I'm sure it's a heck of a lot better than what a $2500 24mp camera would have been. This money effect is quite obvious when you look at the low light performance of the D3s vs. the D700. Despite having the same sensor, the D3s is godly while the D700 is merely out of this world.

EDIT: It's interesting to note that Canon doesn't try to fool professional photographers with megapixels (well, they know they can't). The full-frame Canons use 21mp sensors! Much, much less than what you'd expect from a company selling 18mp crop sensors.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back