t1i or d5000 for wide angle

Wiggly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so I did a lot of research on the two, and am completely torn. I think the deciding factor for me would be which of the two makes better lenses for widezoom in your opinion? I read somewhere on here that nikon's are better for wide angle stuff, but I would like some more opinions on the subject if you could offer them :D. thanks!

so I did a lot of research on the two, and am completely torn. I think the deciding factor for me would be which of the two makes better lenses for widezoom in your opinion? I read somewhere on here that nikon's are better for wide angle stuff, but I would like some more opinions on the subject if you could offer them :D. thanks!

Depends on how big your budget is for a wide angle lens. Nikon 12-24 is a great lens, but very expensive (probably twice the cost of a D5000 body).

Sigma 10-20 ($400-500) is an excellent lens and is available for either system....so I'd say between T1i or 5000d....either/or.

hmmm... im leaning towards the nikon right now I think. I dont need the 15mp or the 1080 video. and thats pretty much the price diff right there.

this is gonna sound dumb but how do I know which lenses will fit my nikon? i haven't even begun looking into specific lenses yet.

hmmm... im leaning towards the nikon right now I think. I dont need the 15mp or the 1080 video. and thats pretty much the price diff right there.

this is gonna sound dumb but how do I know which lenses will fit my nikon? i haven't even begun looking into specific lenses yet.

You just make sure that the lens is a Nikon Mount. Each system has it's own type of mount.

So, if at a store, you say, "I need a Sigma 10-20 for a Nikon", or just search B&H photo for "Sigma 10-20 Nikon" and find the one that is for a NIkon.

Of the ultra wide angle lenses (made for crop cameras), I think the Canon EF-S 10-22mm might be the best one. At least according, to the reviews I read when doing research. Unfortunately, that lens is a fair bit more expensive than the Sigma 10-20mm, which is a decent lens as well.

The person/place who said Nikon has better wide angle lenses should be shot. I hate it when people start discussions like that.

Both Canon and Nikon make exceptional quality lenses all throughout their range. They also make lesser quality lenses aimed for a budget consumer.

In terms of wide angles, Sigma makes a killer one. Sigma is a third party vendor who makes lenses that work on Canon, Sony, Nikon and others. Their wide angle is nice, and its cheaper than the Nikon / Canon equivalent.

So don't base your body decision on which wide angle lenses are best.

Both the T1i and the D5000 are great entry level cameras. I'm sure your research has shown that its more about the lens than the body

well thanks everyone for the input. i think im gonna go with the nikon for a few reasons but the straw that broke the camels back was it leaves me with just a liiiittllleeee bit more change for better glass :D thanks again all!

The person/place who said Nikon has better wide angle lenses should be shot. I hate it when people start discussions like that.

That is ok, but the Nikon 14-24 F2.8 is the sharpest wide angle zoom ever made. I don't thin anyone can even argue this point.

When the OP askes what would be best for wide angle I think it is valid to point that out. Now given that it is work over $2k is another story.

welp i got my new d5000 :D:D:D. I'll be reading the users manual that came with it for a week haha. thanks again for the input everyone, i cant wait to take this thing out to some great spots i have in mind and get a new lens!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back